15: Dying wasn't funny

Alex had in fact passed out by the car that day, Steve rushed her to the hospital obviously, they made her stay in there for a month. Turns out she had like actually died, like properly. Her heart had stopped when Steve brought her into the hospital, because of the tunnels collapsing. And then it happened right after they brought her back, this time because her ribs had broken and punctured her lung, causing it to deflate and because she had lost so much blood it couldn't inflate properly.

~~

A week had passed sine then and Alex was a little better, her chest was still in unfathomable pain and she could barely stay awake thanks to having a pretty bad concussion but she was in a stable condition.

Max walked through the door to her room, her backpack stuffed with candy to give the girl as per her request. Max smiled at the girl, she wasn't awake but she looked peaceful.

Max sat in the chair and grabbed Alex's hand, not realising the girl had woken up as the door opened, she just kept her eyes closed.

"God, I think I'm going crazy. If you told me on Halloween that four days later we would be in tunnels connected to a different version of out world then i would have sent you to a mental asylum but then we did it. Or if i was told you almost died twice in the span of two days, i would have laughed, how could the girl who beat up one of her best friends to protect a bunch of nerds almost die. I think I'm falling in love with you Alex and i don't know how to stop it."

"If it's any constellation i think I'm falling in love with you as well," Alex said, pushing herself up in the hospital bed and smirking.

"God, you heard all that?" Max asked, cringing that someone had heard her speak those words.

Alex nodded and tipped her head back sighing, already sick of the stupid white walls of the hospital room.

Her and Max sat together for hours, some times they were speaking but mostly they just sat together, holding hands and enjoying each others company.

The others all came in during the week at some point, Steve barely left the hospital, just sitting outside Alex's room if her friends were in there or joining them sometimes if the whole party managed to sneak in.

Her most interesting visits were defiantly when Isaac and Luke were in her hospital room, they were there just as much as the other members of the party but they made things a little more interesting, sneaking in all sorts of random items. For example, Luke decided that the room needed to be brightened up so there is a street sign hung haphazardly on the wall opposite the bed.

And Luke decided that just drinking milk and water was boring so there is a backpack full of Soda at one end. 

She had told the two boys everything that happened in the tunnels, and before that, from the pain she felt to the amount of times her and Max kissed. So far it was only the two boys who knew, they were the only people she trusted not to blab. She had told them months ago that she thought she might find girls attractive as well as guys and they didn't say anything bad, just comforted her when she broke down saying it was wrong.

~~

One bad thing had come out of it all, Alex's mom and step-dad were back in town. The hospital had called them the second Steve brought her in, the two adults finishing up the business trip to check on their youngest child. Sure that seemed like a good thing but it meant Max and Alex had to be careful when in the room together, if Alex's parents saw them doing anything other than holding hands, because you know friends can do that, then they would be murdered on the spot.

The whole ordeal had also put a rift in her relationship with Atlas, her brother thought that he was second best to Steve because the Harrington boy was with her throughout it all, the two had grown really close thanks to it.

A/N- I know this chapter is insanely short but i wanted to round everything up before the winter dance part.