21: we fight it together

"What the fuck happened?" Dustin asked, as Steve essentially carried his sister into the RV, demanding that Nancy drives instead of him for now. Dustin first noted her expression, and assumed the worst, and then he noted the bloody knuckles and knew something bad had happened because Alex must have punched a wall or a tree, or something.

"That was my second vision, one more and I'm dead," Alex filled in, her voice void of emotion as she processed everything, "Turns out i didn't even know my favourite song," she said, the group looked at her in shock. Obviously they knew she was targeted, but they didn't realise how fast it escalated.

Alex filled them in on what happened to her, from everything with the basketball team, to what she saw in her vision, not sparing a detail, in case it helped in any way.

"Okay, so Vecna had another name?" Robin clarified, rolling her eyes to try and lighten the tension. "So he is now, Henry Creel/Vecna/One/Peter?" she clarified, Alex nodded her head.

~~

They had cleared everything up, Alex filling in the time gaps in Nancy's knowledge of Vecna and then anything else she knew about him, and then informed them that the town is after them, on a hunting mission.

Alex now sat right in the back with Max, no-one was quite sure what to say to the girl, it seemed as if all the normal lively part had been sucked out of her. She sat with her knees pulled into her chest, her head facing downwards.

She just felt unimaginable guilt, she felt like it was partially her fault that the others almost got killed in the Upside Down.

Max shuffled across, so she was right beside the girl and tapped on her headphones, motioning for the girl to take them off. Alex offered her a weak smile as she slid the device off, pausing the tape on her side.

"I'm sorry," Alex said before Max could even ask her question, she had been wondering if she should speak to the ginger since she got shoved in the back, but it was like she couldn't decide what sounded, right. "I shouldn't have gone off with them the other day. It was such a dick move, and i swear i was planning on breaking up with Rock, but he was essentially providing me a shield so i took it and... now I'm back to where i started and now feeling like absolute shit."

Max listened to Alex's words intently, she wasn't expecting a full on apology, maybe just a few words. "Alex. It doesn't matter, not now." She replied, they could figure everything else out later.

Alex shook her head, "No, it does matter, I just left you to deal with it on your own. What if.. what if Vecna somehow broke through the music protection and you... you died?" She said, breathing becoming a little quicker as tears welled in her eyes, "I.. I just don't want you to die, and the last thing i did to you was walking away. I'm a bad person, don't even try to tell me otherwise, and... Max," she looked up so their eyes met, blue vs green, "Max, you're way too good for me, you deserve to love someone like Lucas, or some other girl. I'm an absolute fucking mess."

Alex bit her lip as she said it, she knew Max was too good for her. Sure, she doesn't want to let the girl go, Alex is sure she will never like someone in the same way she likes Max, just pure adoration.

Alex looked down as Max's hand grasped her own, pulling her closer, so they were partially sat on each other. The ginger inclined her head to look Alex directly in the eye, "So what? we're both a mess, but we'll get through this together." she took a breath, "Properly this time, we fight it together. Alright?"