23: Master of Puppets

"She's in, initiate phase three." Alex heard Erica's voice come through Dustin's walkie. The blonde looked down at the guitar in her hands, then to the sky.

"Okay, Phase three?" Robin's voice came through next, Alex could feel her hairs stand on end, just due to sheer nervousness.

"Copy that. Initiating phase three." Dustin replied, sending a nod to the two across from him, before connecting the wires between the two instruments and the amp. "Let's hope they hear this." Dustin prayed.

The amp wined and then the connection was secured. Dustin nodded to the other two. Alex looked across to the red in the sky. "Max Mayfield, you better be fucking alive when i get back." she muttered before sliding the pick in between her fingers, twirling it twice.

Alex and Eddie shared a look before launching into the song.

Alex just kept her eyes trained on her fingers, making sure she doesn't miss a note. This riff is hard, but its either think about this, or think about how Max is in danger.

What if the plan goes wrong and Max is just in more danger than she needs to be?

Alex mentally cursed herself, this is the exact thing she told herself to not think about.

The blonde looked up just for a second, having enough trust in herself at this point to play the song right. She looked at Dustin who was grinning at the pair, the two friends shared a look, one that was enough to put all their arguing from the recent weeks to rest.

Alex couldn't hold back a laugh as she watched Dustin, he looks like an excited child on Christmas. Alex looked further than the boy and noticed the first batch of demobats on their way, hoards of the creatures just behind them.

Alex went back to focusing on the instrument, letting the vibrations of the strings fill her fingers. The thrill of adrenaline diminish that small voice in her head just repeating that everything will go wrong. She let the steady shake of the trailer's roof push her into the music.

She pushed herself into it even more, dropping to her knees to play the second half of the intro riff, if not just to make Dustin laugh, making her laugh and then calm both of their nerves just a little.

'end of passion play, crumbling away'

Max ran through the creel house, she had to keep Vecna moving, keep herself moving. But most importantly find a way out of this house.

'I'm your source of self-destruction'

Alex and Eddie went back to back to play this part, it wasn't a conscious choice that was premade. But Hell, it looked so fucking cool. Dustin perched on the bus, his eyes swapping from the pair and the demobats slowly creeping over the horizon

"Where are you going Maxine?"

Max panicked this is not good, very not good. Vecna appeared on the stairs, his sheer presence making Max's blood run cold. She took one look at his ghastly figure descending the stairs and darted away.

'veins that pump with fear'

Max ran into an opposite corridor, desperate to keep him away.