Chpt 1: The Tutor

Hawkins, Indiana. The most boring place you will be. Everyone here is either a poor junkie living in some shitty one bedroom house, or they have some money, get married and move to the cul-de-sac at the age of twenty two.

But before they know it, they are already borderline alcoholics that regret their lives. And then they have children, who will repeat the same cycle.

I know this is a depressing outlook on things, but it's the truth. I see it everyday. My dad and i for example. My dad and i used to live in the big city with my sister and my mom. He was a big time cop and my mom stayed at home looking after us.

Then, my sister died and my mom and dad split up. My mom had custody of me for a while and i lived with her in England. But then some trouble happened and i moved back in with my dad.

I love my dad a lot but he isn't the best father. He just misses my sister and our old life. We live in a small cabin by the lake. It is a decent place but... Messy to say the least.

"Kid, what are you doing? Get up we're leaving in twenty" my dad said swinging the door open. I rolled my eyes and put my pillow over my head. "Get up!" he shouted tearing the blanket off of me.

I eventually got ready and we got in his truck. My dad is the police chief of Hawkins. He likes his job but he mostly likes that he doesn't have to do anything. The worst thing to happen in this town since he started working here was when an owl attacked Eleanor Gillespie's head.

"So, what's today huh?" he asked. I ignored him as i stared out the window. "Earth to bambi" he said clicking his fingers in my face. "Stop calling me that" i snapped.

"Jesus fine! But what's happening today huh? Any tests? Projects? Friends?" he asked. "No... None of the above. Just same old" i said biting my nails. Hopper nodded his head. "I can feel the judgment" i said.

"I'm not judging! I'm just saying... Maybe it would be good to get out and make some friends bambi" he said.

"Really? How about i make friends with that half naked librarian i saw hiding in your room this morning" i said as i got out of the car. He sighed and hung his head. "And stop calling me bambi" i said slamming the door.

As i was walking through school, i spotted all the groups of people. There were the science nerds, the stoners, the dnd nerds, the basketball team and... The goon squad.

The goon squad included  Tommy H, Carol and... Steve Harrington. All of them were so bigheaded, i'm surprised their heads could fit through the door.

I got my books out my locker and headed to the bathroom. Before class i would usually smoke in the stalls. I used to do it behind classroom B but Mr Johnson caught me a few weeks ago and called my dad.

As i was puffing the smoke out the window, i heard heavy breathing and muffled voices from outside. "I'll climb through your window. She won't even know i'm there. I'm stealthy, i'm like a ninja" i heard a voice say.

I put my cigarette out and put my head against the door. "Steve... I have to study. I'm not kidding" a voice said. "Well, why do you think i want it to be nice and quiet?" another voice said.

"Your an idiot Steve Harrington". I quietly chuckled to myself realising it was Nancy Wheeler and Steve Harrington. I swung the door open and Nancy pushed Steve off of her immediately.

"Go get herpes somewhere else guys" i said. Nancy looked flustered as she quickly gathered her things and ran out of the bathroom. "You always have to ruin all the fun, huh Hopper?" Steve said. I gave him a wide, sarcastic smile as i walked out.

As i was walking to my first class, i realised i was 15 minutes late. "Shit, shit, shit" i mumbled to myself as i scurried to my class.

When i got there, i quietly opened the door as the teacher was writing on the chalk board. I crept towards my seat until the teacher spun around. "You're late, Miss Hopper" the teacher exclaimed.

"Yea, sorry Miss. I was in the toilet" i said. "This is the fifth time this week!" she exclaimed. Just as she was scowling me, the classroom door swung open.

Steve Harrington was standing at the door with a bagel in one hand and his bag in the other. "Sorry i'm late... I was in the toilet" he said.

"Well, both of you were late... At the same time... And both in the toilet" the teacher said folding her arms. "Both of you see me after class" she said. I glared at Steve as i slumped in my chair.

After class, Steve and i slowly walked towards the teachers desk. "Now, i have been looking at both of your recent tests. Joy, you got an A+ on all of them" she said. I taunted Steve with a smile from ear to ear.

"Now, Mr Harrington... One C and two D-" she said with a disappointed look. Steve let out a sigh. "Now, since both of you have decided that it is acceptable to be late to my class for whatever... Business you were both doing. You can spend more time together. After school" she said.

"I'm sorry, what?" i asked with a chuckle. "Joy, you can tutor Steve for the upcoming tests, alright?" she said. My eyes widened as i scoffed. "Please Miss, but anyone but her" Steve begged.

"Yes her! I except progress Mr Harrington. And i expect effort in your teachings, Miss Hopper" she said. We both glared at each other as we left the room.

"Thanks a lot asshole" i exclaimed. "How is this my fault?!" he shouted. "Why should i be  punished for you being a twat" i said storming off.

"Well why am i being forced to spend time with Hawkins slut" he shouted from across the hall.

I stopped in my tracks as i turned around slowly. "Say that again" i said walking towards him. "What? It's not a secret. Everyone knows you've slept with half of the school" he said with a smirk.

I grabbed his shoulders and kneed him in the crotch. Steve crouched down trying to hold in the pain. Everyone in the hallway laughed and whispered to each other.

After school finished, i walked to the police station. I usually went there after school to just swing in the spinny chairs and steal their food.

"Hey Flo" i said greeting the secretary. "Hey Joy, your dads not here" she said. "Where is he?" i asked. "A boys gone missing. Joyce Byers son, do you know her?" Flo asked.

My heart sank. "Oh god, how long has he been missing?" i asked. "Only since yesterday but you know how worried mothers get" she said.

"Do you know when my dad will be back?" i asked. She shook her head and continued her paperwork. I decided to try and see if my dad had left any doughnuts in his office.

When i was searching through his drawers, i found a file with the bold letters "Missing" on it. I decided to be nosey and take a look. "Oh god" i said to myself.

It had completely slipped my mind that Johnathan was Joyce's son. I did not talk to Johnathan much now, but i used to be close with him a couple of years ago.

I decided to take Wills file home, just to try and help by looking into it more. Hopefully dad wouldn't mind...

Once i got home, i heated up a microwave dinner and put on the tv. I liked when my dad stayed out late for work so i could finally have the tv to myself.

As i was enjoying my food, i heard the phone ring. I groaned as i reluctantly got up. "Hello" i said picking up the phone. "Hi is this Joys house?" i heard the voice on the other line say.

"Who's asking?" i said. "It's Steve. Mrs Smith gave me your number from the office" he said. "What do you want?" i snapped.

"Are you able to study tomorrow?" he asked. "We're not actually doing that are we?" i questioned. "Well, yea... We kind of have too" he said. "Why can't you just get off your lazy ass and study on your own?" i asked in an irritated tone .

"Because... I... I need your help, alright?" he mumbled. "I'm sorry...Say that again?" i taunted.
I heard a sigh through the phone. "I need your help" he mumbled again. "I'm sorry, i really can't hear you" i said with a giggle.

"I need your help!" he shouted. "Jesus, alright. I'll help" i said with a chuckle. "Come to my house tomorrow at like...8?" he asked. "Okay, 8 it is" i said.

"You know this doesn't make us friends right?" he snapped. "My thoughts exactly" i replied.