Chpt 46: Nightmares

We all began hastily looking for Maxes favourite song. Lucas told us it was "Running Up That Hill" by Kate Bush. "I got it!" Lucas exclaimed as he began putting the disk into the walkman.

We put the headphones on Max and began playing the song. We all waited anxiously for anything to happen. For her to wake up. But something very different happened instead.

Max began floating up in the air looking practically lifeless. We all began shouting for her to wake up but nothing was happening.

"What do we do?!" i shouted. "I... I... I don't know!" Steve stuttered. In that moment, only one thought went through my head.

"Take me instead" i mumbled under my breath.

Max had people here who cared about her. Who loved her. Who needed her to stay alive. Me... Not so much. I repeated those words over and over again.

Suddenly, Max fell to the ground. Lucas grabbed onto her and began comforting her as she tried to catch her breath. "I thought we lost you" Lucas mumbled. "I'm still here... I'm still here" she said.

We all held onto Max as she calmed down. "What... What just happened?" Dustin mumbled. "I saw him. I saw Vecna" she said.

I looked at Steve who had a petrified look on his face. "We um... We have to get you home. I mean, back to Nancy's. Now" Steve stuttered as we helped her up.

Lucas held onto Max as we walked to the car. I saw Steve put his head in his hands as he began breathing quicker and quicker. "Steve. What's wrong? She's okay. Everyone's okay" i said.

"She... She could have died. She was... She almost did! I couldn't... I couldn't do anything" he mumbled through pants. I grabbed Steve's face as i made him face me.

"Everything is going to be okay. We know how to help Max now. You helped save her" i said as his breathing slowed down. He nodded slowly.

I knew why Steve was so upset. For some reason, he thinks it's his job to take care of everyone. That's what i've always loved about him. But sometimes, he takes it too far. He thinks if someone is hurt, it's his fault.

I let go of his face as he gave me a small smile. "Now come on. We have to go back to the others" i said as i gave him a small, soft smile.

We all drove back to Nancy's house in anxious silence. When we got there, we told Nancy and Robin what had happened. To be safe, we decided all to take shifts sleeping so one of us would watch Max to make sure she was okay.

It was around 3am and Nancy gently shook me awake. "Hey. It's your shift" she whispered as i stretched from tiredness. "I brought you some coffee. To help you stay awake" she said handing me the cup.

"Thanks" i said with a small smile. "This is crazy, huh? This whole Vecna thing. I thought once the Mind Flayer was dead this would all be over" she said. "Yeah, but honestly, it feels like this whole upside down shit will never end" i replied as my smile faded.

Nancy paused. "I'm going go try get some sleep. Wake Dustin at 5am for his shift, okay?" she said. I nodded as she lied down on the couch to sleep.

As she fell asleep, looked around at everyone sleeping. A few days ago, i thought i would never see these people again. I thought i'd never see Hawkins again. And even though, everything in this town has gone to absolute shit... I'm sorta glad i get to see them.

A small while later, i tried to read a book to pass the time but i was distracted as i saw Max tossing and turning in her sleep.

She sat up quickly as i scurried over to her side. "You okay?" i asked. "I'm fine... I just... I've been having a lot of nightmares recently. I can never seem to sleep" she said.

"Yeah. They can be pretty shitty" i said. "You get them too?" she questioned. "I get them pretty much all the time, ever since i was a kid."

"What about?" she asked. I paused. "Depends on what i'm thinking about when i lie in bed. And i tend to think of only bad thoughts when i try to fall asleep" i said with a small laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

She gave me a small smile back. "Do you know how to stop them?" she asked. I hesitated because i didn't have the answer. I wanted to help but i couldn't.

"No... But when i do know, i'll get back to you. Now try and sleep. We'll try sort all of this stuff out in the morning" i said. She nodded as she laid back down to sleep.

I sighed as i looked at her sleep. She was scared. And she knew everyone else was scared too because no one knew how to fix this.

After a few hours, i walked over to Dustin and tried to gently shake him awake. He didn't move. "Dustin... Wake up" i said as i shook him harder. He didn't move. "Hey asshole! It's your shift. Wake up!" i exclaimed causing him to jolt up

"Jesus! What time is it?" he questioned as he rubbed his eyes. "It's time for your shift. Now let me sleep!" i snapped as i laid down on the couch.

As i laid down, i looked at Steve who was sleeping on the floor. He had his eyes closed but a small smile escaped his lips as he heard me and Dustin arguing. I laid my head down on the pillow as i smirked. Maybe he didn't completely despise me after all.

"Joy! Joy!" i heard someone shout as they shook me awake. I jolted up as i saw Nancy and Max standing if front of me.

"We need to go. We might know where Vecna is hiding" Nancy said. "Where?" i questioned. Max tilted her head and sighed.

"Victor Kreel. Victor Kreels house."

(Authors note: I know this chpt was sort of boring but i promise future chpts will definitely be... Interesting)