Chpt 45: Back To Forgetting

We all sat in the car in silence as we drove to the trailer park where Max lived. Everyone was on edge, especially Max.

When we got to the trailer park, Max tried to unlock the door but Steve had locked it quickly. "Listen Mayfeild, this better be fast" Steve said. "Twenty seconds" she said. Steve reluctantly unlocked the car as Max headed into her trailer.

I got out of the car and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my pocket. "You still doing that?" i heard a voice say. I rolled my eyes as i saw Steve leaning against his car.

"Yup... Never stopped" i said. "Look, i'm sorry i snapped at you back there... I just... I was surprised to see you" he said. "Good surprised?" i questioned.

He stayed quiet. "Thought so" i mumbled as i put the cigarette between my teeth. "I like the new haircut by the way" he said breaking the awkward silence.

"Thanks... Yours hasn't changed" i said with a small smirk. He laughed softly. "So... How have you been? How's Mindy, or Cindy or whatever her name is?" i asked.

Steve's face dropped. "Oh calm down Steve. Robin told me that you've been seeing people. I asked her how you're doing and she mentioned it" i said.

"Her names Heidi... And i don't really think she's the girl for me, you know? I mean, she's great it's just... I don't know... Have you been seeing anyone?" he asked. "Nope. Haven't really had time for dating."

"Oh... Yeah, Robin told me about Yale. Are you excited?" he questioned. I put out my cigarette and let out a small laugh. "Yeah, i don't really know if i want to go" i said.

"What?! What do you mean? You've always wanted to go to Yale, you have to go" Steve exclaimed. "I've changed. I don't know if that's what i want to do anymore. I don't even think i want to go to any college" i said.

Steve shook his head in disappointment. "Look Steve, i've had enough of this disappointed crap from my mom so can you just stop. I don't want to talk about it. There's bigger things to be worried about" i snapped.

Steve scoffed and looked like he was about to say something until he was cut off by Max storming out of her house. "That was longer than 20 seconds" i said.

She ignored me as i saw her face all puffy as if she had been crying. "Woah, are you all right?" i asked. "I'm fine. Just drive" Max snapped as we all got into the car.

"Did something happen?" Steve asked. "Can we just please go?!" Max exclaimed making us all go quiet. "Where are we going now?" i asked.

"The graveyard. I have to do something" she said. My heart dropped. "The Roane Hill graveyard? What do you have to do in the graveyard?" i questioned. "I just do!" she said.

I slumped in my seat and sighed. That's the graveyard that Hop was buried in. I knew coming back to Hawkins would bring up a lot of old memories but i never thought i would have to see that grave again.

After a long and uncomfortable drive to the graveyard, we finally stopped. Max got out of the car as Lucas followed after her. "So Joy, how's England?" Dustin asked.

"It's fine" i replied unenthusiastically. He nodded awkwardly and gave Steve a weird look. "I'll be back soon. I just have to see something" i said getting out of the car.

Steve toppled out of the car after me. "Joy? Where the hell are you going? We have to stick together" he exclaimed. "Jesus Steve! Can you just leave me alone for five minutes?! Seriously!" i shouted.

"No. We're sticking together whether you like it or not. So i'm coming" he said. I rolled my eyes and continued walking. Steve followed after me even though i tried to stop him. I walked around the gloomy, empty cemetery as i finally reached Hops grave.

"Jim Hopper. Hawkins Beloved Chief Of Police."

I scoffed as i read it. Steve's angry and frustrated expression quickly faded as he saw which grave we were standing at. "'Chief Of Police'... That's it. That's how he'll be remembered. You know, everyone still thinks he died in a stupid fucking mall fire?" i questioned angrily.

Steve stayed quiet as he awkwardly stood there. "It's bullshit. 'Small town cop dies in mall fire.' I just wish everyone knew, you know? That they knew he saved everyone. Not just Hawkins, but everyone."

"We know. That's what's important Joy" he said. I bit my tongue as i examined the grave stone. "I don't even know why this is here. It's not like there's even a body to burry, so why have a grave at all" i said.

Steve didn't know what to say. What could he say? "It's just bullshit. I don't even know why i came over here" i said as i walked away. As i was walking, Steve gently grabbed my arm.

"You know you can talk to me right? Even though... We're not the closest anymore. You can still talk to me" he said. I shook his grasp off of my arm. 

"I don't want to talk to you. I'm fine Steve" i said storming away. "So that's why you didn't answer my letter? You think you don't need my help? Or anyone's help for that matter?" he asked causing me to stop in my tracks.

I turned around slowly. "I didn't answer your letter Steve because i never read it. I didn't want to read it. I didn't open it because i didn't want to know what you said because it didn't matter! I was 100s of miles away. You couldn't have helped!" i exclaimed.

"So it's my fault you were 100s of miles away?" he questioned angrily. "I never said that!" i shouted causing him to go quiet. "I wasn't ready to open your letter. And i'm sorry if i hurt you by not calling you or writing you back. Is that what you want to hear?" i asked.

He sighed as he put his head in his hands. "I'm sorry Steve. But i don't need your help. I don't want your help. I'm here to help save Hawkins and then you can go back to forgetting i even exist" i snapped.

"I don't want to forget you exist Joy! I never forgot!" he exclaimed. I looked at the ground as i didn't know what to say. "Did you really not read my letter?" he asked.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. As Steve and i were arguing, Dustin ran over to us. "Somethings wrong with Max!" Dustin shouted.

We all ran over to Max who was sitting at Billy Hargrove's grave. Her eyes were open but they were all bloodshot. We tried to shake her and wake her up from her trance but nothing would work. It's like she couldn't hear us at all.

"Max! Wake up!" Steve shouted as he shook her. "Why isn't she waking up?!" i exclaimed. "I don't... I don't know" Lucas stuttered. "Call Nancy and Robin! Call them!" i shouted.

Dustin ran back to the car and began trying to get in contact with the others. We continued trying to shake her awake but nothing was happening.

After a few minutes of trying to wake Max up, Dustin ran back over to us and dropped all of Max's disks and her walkman in front of us.

"What is this?!" Lucas exclaimed. "Her song! What's her favourite song?" Dustin shouted. "Why?!" Lucas shouted back.

"Robin said... Look it doesn't matter. Whats her favourite song?!"