Chpt 49: Our Last Summer

Steves Pov:

We all waited anxiously for anything to happen. "Come on Joy. Come on" i mumbled. Suddenly, the worst happened. Joy began levitating into the air. Everyone around me began screaming and shouting as i just stood still.

It felt as if i couldn't move. Like i was frozen. I knew i couldn't do anything to help her. I felt a lump in my throat begin to form. This couldn't be happening.

She was going to die. And i couldn't help her.

Joys Pov:

The tentacle wrapped around my ankle dragged me towards Vecna as it pulled me up against the wall. I tried to break free, but vines wrapped around shoulders and legs so i could not move.

"It's time Joy" Vecna said as he stepped towards me. "Please" i mumbled as i continued trying to break free. "That's nots going to work. This is what you've always wanted. It's your turn to die."

I shook my head as tears streamed down my face. "You asked to die when Sarah died, when your father died and when Liz died. Your finally getting your wish" he said. "Fuck you asshole" i mumbled. A vine tightened around my neck as i struggled to breathe.

"It's time, for your suffering to end."

In the distant background, i heard the song change from "Be My Baby" to "It's Been A Long, Long Time." Suddenly, my eyes drifted away from Vecna and to the group of people behind him.

I saw everyone gathered around me as my body floated up into the air. I closed my eyes as i began thinking of the night of the Snowball Dance when i first got out of hospital.

Steve and i played this song and went to the movies to see "Spalsh." Steve said he hated it, but i knew he loved it. For the rest of the year, i made him replay this song over and over again.

Then i thought about everything else that happened in the past few years. I met Robin. I found El. I got closer with all the kids. I had my dad. And i had Steve.

I remembered when Robin and i would have sleepovers and she would show me all of her crappy movies that i sort of enjoyed. I thought about how me, Hopper and El would stay up and watch cowboy movies while eating eggos.

I thought about how funny and annoying all the kids were. I then thought about Steve. How i had to help him study even though it was the last thing i wanted to do, but he somehow always found a way to make me laugh.

I remembered when me and Jake got in a fight and Steve picked me up, with no questions asked. He didn't force me to tell him anything. He just let me stay at his house and we watched movies.

I remembered when he confessed that he liked me. How we planned our future together. The future that i've always wanted. The future i still want. The future i will fight to have.

I opened my eyes and poked Vecna in his eyes. He took a step back as the vines let me loose. I quickly got up and began running towards my friends. I thought if i just kept running, i would get out.

I felt Vecnas tentacle wrap around my leg, but i wasn't going to let him get me this time. I grabbed a rock off of the floor and jammed it into his tentacle. The tentacle let go of my leg as i continued running. I ran and ran until i finally reached my friends.

I finally opened my eyes as i fell to the floor. I began breathing heavily as i looked around at everyone. I saw Steve run towards me as he held me in his arms. "Jesus Joy! I thought we lost you" he said as he kissed my head.

I continued trying to catch my breath as i held onto his arm. "Are you okay?" he mumbled. "Ask me tomorrow" i mumbled back. He continued holding me as Robin held onto my arm.

After Steve finally let me go, we all headed back to the car. The car ride was silent on the way home as i had my head in my hands.

"Where are we headed?" Steve asked as he was driving. "We can stay at my basement again" Nancy said. "I want to go home" i said. Everyone went quiet as they gave me a confused look.

"I want to go to the cabin." "Joy, we have to stay together. More than ever now" Robin said. "I want to go back to the cabin... Please."

Everyone paused. "I'll stay with Joy. We'll come pick everyone up first thing tomorrow morning. We'll be okay" Steve said. I gave Steve a thankful nod as he looked at me in the rear view mirror.
Everyone reluctantly agreed.

We dropped everybody off at Nancy's as we began driving to my old cabin. "I'm getting some deja vu" Steve said. "What do you mean?" i questioned. "It's just... I always used to drive down this road to pick you up."

A small smile escaped my lips. "I remember" i said. "Are you sure you want to stay at the cabin tonight? We can always turn back" Steve said. "No. I want to stay there tonight. I was thinking about it when... When i was in that place. And i want to go back." Steve nodded as we rode the rest of the way in silence.

Once we finally got to the cabin, i grabbed my old lamps and lit up the place. "Much better. Less scary" i said with a small laugh. Steve was sitting on the couch with a sad look on his face.

"What?" i questioned. "Nothing" he said. "Steve, what's wrong?" i asked again. "I just um... I um..." Steve began but couldn't finish his sentence. I sat down next to him.

"I'm sorry. About... About everything i said. About how i acted. I'm sorry it took so long to say sorry. I'm just...." "Sorry?" i questioned with sad laughter. Steve let out a small sad laugh. "Yeah... I'm sorry" he said.

"Well, i'm sorry too. For not reading your letter and not trying to get in contact with you. I acted shitty" i said. "Are you doing okay after everything that happened?" Steve questioned.

"I'm fine i guess. As much as a person would be after finding out a demon is after them" i said with a smirk. Steve gave me an annoyed look. "Too soon?"

Steve rolled his eyes and laughed. "Yes. Too soon... Hey, can i ask you something?" he asked. "Shoot." "You always said you loved 'Be My Baby', so why didn't it work?" he asked.

I hesitated for a moment. "I don't know. For the past year i've just listened to 'It's Been A Long, Long Time.' It reminds me of the summer we had before i had to move" i said.

"So it reminds you of 'our' summer?" he questioned. "Your know, you're very full of yourself, Harrington" i said with a smirk. He smiled. "I'm glad that demon didn't kill you, Jo" he said.

My smile faded. "You called me Jo" i said. "Yeah... So?" he questioned. "You haven't called me Jo since i got back."

"Haven't i?" Steve said as he shuffled uncomfortably on the couch. I gave him a small smile as he sat there awkwardly. "I better get these headphones on incase Vecna comes back, huh?"

"Oh yeah... Yeah of course. You better do that" he stuttered. I put the headphones on and started the track. "I'm going to try and sleep" i shouted. Steve winced at my voice.

"Oh i'm talking to loud, aren't i?" i said a bit quieter. Steve nodded as he let out a small laugh. "I'm going to try and sleep. Goodnight" i whispered as i laid down on the couch. Steve grabbed an old blanket and threw it over me.

"Night, Jo."