Chpt 41: The Monster

A couple of minutes later, the Rink-O-Mania workers made me sit in one of the booths as they called an ambulance to help Angela. I sat there playing with my fingers as i watched them try and stop her bleeding.

"Can you tell me your name?" one of the EMTs asked. "Um, Angela" the girl said. "Good. Do you know where you are, Angela?" he asked. "Rink... Rink-O-Mania, i think" she said. "That's very good. Where does it hurt sweetie?" he asked.

"My head" she mumbled. The EMT looked at me with a disgusted look. I looked up to see everyone staring at me. I tried to ignore it as i stared at the wall.

I was relieved when i saw Argyle and Johnathan walk in to come get us. I ran out to the van without saying anything to them. Mike told them what happened as they got into the van.

We all sat in silence as i looked out the window. "I know this may be like, upsetting and shit, but that future prom queen is going to be just fine. I mean it's just like rubber wheels" Argyle said.

"Plastic. Not like hard plastics. Just... Just the soft kind" Johnathan muttered. It was obvious they were stoned. "Do you ever wonder why the wheels aren't wood, man? Or metal? It's so people don't get hurt when they get shmacked!" Argyle exclaimed.

"Oh" Johnathan said. "Yeah! Because it happens more than you think. Roller skate attacks." "Man. Hey, at least it wasn't an ice skate" Johnathan added on.

"That nose would've been sliced clean off, man!" Argyle said with laughter. They continued talking nonsense as i blocked them out.

Once we arrived back at Joyce's house, we all walked in to see Murray cooking food. "Well, well, well! Aren't you lot a sight for sore eyes!" he exclaimed in excitement.

"Hi Murray" Johnathan said with a smile. "You kids like risotto?" he questioned. "Hell yeah" Argyle exclaimed. I rolled my eyes as i went upstairs to change.

A small while later, we all sat at the dinner table awkwardly eating the risotto Murray made. "There i was, headed down the 1-5 going to see a client in Ventura. I'm looking for a motel to stay for the night, and suddenly, bam! It hits me. 'Didn't the Byers move here?'" Murray exclaimed.

"Small world, isn't it?" Joyce said with a smile. "So i thought, 'Hey, you know what? Why don't i drop in to say hello to old friends?'" he said with a chuckle.

"So sweet of you. And he cooks too!" Joyce said. "And cleans! A regular little house wife" Murray said. "You should just stay" Joyce said. "I'd be tempted too Joyce, except you know you have that, uh..." Murray began and gave Joyce a look to finish his sentence.

"Right! My business trip" Joyce said. "Business trip? What business trip?" Will questioned. "That's right! I almost forgot to tell you guys. This thing came up at work. And it turns out i have to go to a conference tomorrow. In Alaska" she said.

"Alaska?!" Will exclaimed. "That's where they're based. The Britannicas... Joan and Brian Britannica" she said. It was obvious she was being weird about this but i didn't care.

My guess would be she has a secret boyfriend she doesn't want to tell us about. "So Johnathan, Joy, this means you're gonna have to you know, take charge while i'm gone" Joyce said. I nodded unenthusiastically.

"Wait, what? What's going on?" Johnathan questioned. Will put his head in his hands in embarrassment for Johnathan. "Your moms going to Alaska" Argyle said.

"Your going to Alaska? What's going on in Alaska?" Johnathan asked. "The Britannicas are there" Argyle said. "The Britannicas? Who are the Britannicas?" he asked. "Johnathan, what's wrong with you?" Joyce questioned.