Chpt 23: The Fight

❗️Minor trigger warning❗️-digging nails into hand that caused blood-

I was frozen with fear. I was scared. Why was i scared? He's never hurt me before. I was being stupid. But i couldn't help it. I was terrified of the boy who i once thought would never hurt me.

"Joy!" Steve's voice echoed as he snapped me out of my trance. "Go into the other room and don't come out. No matter what you hear. Don't come out."

"What? No, i'll go, you stay. He's probably just looking to see where i am" i said. "No Joy..." he said looking up at the cut on my forehead. "Steve... It was an accident" i mumbled.

"Look, i know you like to go all Sylvia Plath feminist shit on me, but i need you to go into the other room. I need you safe.... I'll deal with him."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine" i mumbled. I wouldn't usually do what i'm told, especially by Steve. But the truth was, i didn't want to see him. I really didn't.

I went into Joyce's room and ran over to the window. Steve made his way outside to Jake. "Am i dreaming or is that you, Harrington?" Jake called out as he leant against his car.

"Yeah it's me. Don't cream your pants."

"What are you doing here, amigo?" Jake said with a smirk. It was obvious he had been drinking. "I could ask you the same thing... Amigo" Steve replied. "I'm looking for Joy. A little birdie told me she was here."

"Yeah that's weird, i haven't seen her" he said. "Is that so?" Jake said grabbing a beer from his car. "Yeah... That is so..." Steve said. Jake scoffed. "You know, i don't know, this whole situation...It's giving me the heebie- jeebies" Jake said.

"Yeah, why is that?" Steve questioned. "I haven't seen my girlfriend in days. And i find her here with you, in some random house, after she told me you two weren't even friends... And you lie to me about it."

Steve chuckled. "We're you dropped too much as a child or what? Like i said, she's not here." Jake licked his lips as he smashed the bottle on the ground. "Then who is that?"

He pointed to the window where i was perched. I ducked down quickly, hoping he didn't see me. "Oh shit. Listen-" Steve began but was cut off by Jake pushing him to the floor.

"She's my girlfriend, Harrington. Mine."

Jake stormed into the house and i heard all the kids jump. I was about to go outside, but then i remembered what Steve said. "No matter what you hear. Don't come out."

"Well, we'll, well. What did i tell you Joy? I told you, i didn't want to believe the rumours. I told you. I told you i didn't want to believe them. But here i find you, with Steve Harrington being mommy and daddy to some weird ass kids!" he shouted with a laugh.

My breathing quickened. "I thought i told you to stay away from him... I told you i loved you Joy!" he cried out. I clenched my fists.

"You shouldn't have done this... You shouldn't  have disobeyed me. Because when you disobey me... I break things." Jake grabbed the closest thing to him which was a glass cookie jar.

He threw it against the wall causing the kids to scream. I heard him grab more and more things and throw them. The more things he smashed, the closer he got to the kids and the louder they all began to scream.

"Come out Joy!" he shouted. Tears streamed down my face as i heard him shout. I clenched my fists harder and harder as i dug my nails into my hands. It was getting harder and harder to stay put.

As Jake threw the last object, he towering over the kids. They were all backed up against the wall. "If you won't listen to me when i ask you nicely, maybe you'll listen when i don't."