Chpt 16: Asshole

The next morning, i stumbled to the kitchen looking for any meds that would help with my headache. El came out of her room and slumped on the kitchen chair. She was staring Hopper down with a death stare while Hopper was singing to himself as he made an eggo supreme.

"How was your halloween?" i asked El. "Hopper was late" she said with a small eye roll. "What? Your were late?!" i exclaimed. "Okay i get it, i was late, i'm the worst, now eat" Hopper said sliding the eggos towards us.

I groaned at the sight of it. "See El, this is why you should never drink" Hopper said condescendingly. "I'm going to get breakfast later at school" i said walking away.

I got ready for school and as i was about to run out the door, Hopper caught me and pulled me aside.

"Hey, do me a favour, please be home as soon as you can after school. El is really upset about last night and about Mike. I just don't want to leave her on her own for too long. I think she's sick of staying home all the time and i'm afraid she'll do something drastic" he said.

"Yeah of course. I'll be home as soon as i can" i said with a smile. "I'm serious Joy. Please be here." "Jesus, i will. Now can i go?" i said.
He ruffled up my hair as i ran out the door.

As i walked out of the woods, i was a little surprised to see Jakes car parked, waiting for me. I figured that he would want to break up with me after our fight.

I slowly made my way over to the car and hesitantly sat down. Jake sighed. "I'm sorry about last night... I... I acted like a dick" he mumbled.

"Yeah, you did" i said. "I know it's just... Joy i've had the best summer with you. Then when i saw you back at school with all those guys... I just don't want to loose you."

I began biting my fingernails not knowing what fo say. He took my hand in his and kissed my knuckles. "Please."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "On one condition. You can't tell me who i can or can not hang out with. You have to trust me and not all those stupid rumours you heard because half of them aren't even true!" i said.

He nodded his head slowly. "I do trust you, Jo." "Then act like it" i said. He smirked as he leaned in and kissed me. I pulled out quickly and grabbed his hand. "Come on... I'm going to be late" i said with a fake smile.

When we got to the school, i was about to get hop out of the car until Jake caught my hand. He tucked a hair behind my ear and looked me up and down.

"I love you, Joy."

The smile on my face faded. No one has ever said they loved me. Apart from my dad... And liz. My heart began beating so fast, it felt as if i couldn't breathe.

Jake looked at me waiting for me to say it back. "Shit i... I actually have to see Mrs. Fisher before class... I'll see you after?" i said opening the car door.

"Oh yea, of course... After" he mumbled. I gave him a quick kiss as i flashed him a fake smile. I closed the door quickly as i ran into the school.

I went straight to the toilet and leaned over the sink. My breathing became quicker and quicker. "Joy?" a voice said. I rolled my eyes before i turned around to see Nancy Wheeler standing there with a concerned look.

"Hey Nance" i said awkwardly looking at the ground. "Are you okay? You looked like you were gonna throw up there" she said. I sighed and chuckled lightly.

"I'm fine Nance." "Is this about your boyfriend? I saw you two at the party... Are you doing okay?" she questioned. I turned around slowly.

"You haven't spoken to me in months and now what?... You're all 'concerned'" i questioned angrily. "Just piss off Wheeler" i said pushing past her.