Chpt 18: Friends?

Steve stayed up with me that night. He made waffles and i forced him to watch "Grease". He said he didn't like it but he definitely did.

This morning i woke up and i couldn't even remember falling asleep. For a moment, i thought i was at home with El and Hop, then i looked around and realised i definitely was not.

I slowly made my way up the stairs out of the basement, praying that Steve's parents were not home. He's mentioned that his dad is a strict asshole so i definitely did not want to bump into him.

I quietly made my way into the kitchen and saw no one was there. "Good morning?" i heard a voice say from behind me. I jumped and a small scream came out of me. I turned to see Steve chuckling.

"Asshole" i whispered. "Do you want coffee?" he whispered back. "Yeah, thanks." "Now, why are we whispering?" he questioned.

"Are your parents home?" i said louder. "No, they barely are. They work a lot so, no need to worry" he said as he began making the coffee.

I sat down on the counter and looked around his kitchen. It was modern. Way fancier than mine. I always forget that he's loaded. "Do you want me to drop you home... Or do you want me to drop you at Jakes?" he questioned as he handed me a cup of coffee.

I laughed sarcastically. "Is neither an option" i said. "Well, i'm going to Nancy's today... We kind of... Got in a fight yesterday so i just want to talk to her" he said.

"Oh well... You can drop me off at the movie house" i said. Steve laughed quietly. "What?" i questioned. "Just... Wouldn't you get some deja vu?" he mumbled as he took a sip of his coffee.

"From what? When i beat the crap out of you?" i said. "You know i still have a scar." "What?" i said hopping off the work top. "Where?!"

He pointed at the small scar between his eye and his eyebrow. I grabbed his face to examine it. "Wow. I did some damage, huh?" i said with laughter.

It took me a few moments to realise i was still holding his face. I quickly let go as i gave him an awkward smile. "You did... But i deserved it. I think you finally knocked some sense into me."

"Literally knocked into you" i said with a smirk. "You know, i don't think i ever thanked you for that." "For what? Beating the shit out of you?"

"No. For waking me up i guess. Ever since then i have been trying to be a better person. I proved that to Nancy, to Johnathan... I hope anyways. But i don't think i proved that to you yet. And your the person i wanted to show the most... Because your my friend... Obviously" he said.

I gave him a fake smile. I know he's trying to be sweet... But it felt like he's only talking to me because he feels guiltily.

"You don't have to 'prove' anything to me Steve. It's been a nearly year since that happened. I don't care anymore. So if you want to just drop me home now and-"

"What no?! I didn't mean it like that i just... Joy... You're my friend. That's what i meant. I wanted to prove that i can be a good friend. With coffee" he said sliding my cup over to me.

A smile crept on my face. "I don't know how i feel about you being my 'friend'. I liked hating you more" i said. Steve sarcastically pretended to put a knife through his heart which made me laugh.

"So... Friends?" he said putting out his hand. I rolled my eyes. "For now..." i said shaking his hand.

"Okay then... Since you are my friend now, i need your help. What should i get Nancy to forgive me?" he asked. I sighed.

"I don't know... Maybe get her some flowers. Don't get her chocolates! It's cheesy and we don't even like the fancy heart box chocolates because frankly, they don't taste good. Or maybe, buy her music for her walkman. Her favourite song. It could mean more than you think" i said.