Chpt 51: So Mordor It Is

"Dude i'm telling you, you're taking us the wrong way!" Steve exclaimed. "It's North! I'm positive. I checked the map" Dustin said. "You do realise Skull Rock is a super popular make out spot?" Steve said.

"Yeah so?" Dustin mumbled. "Yeah, well it wasn't popular until i made it popular, all right? I practically invented it" he said. I rolled my eyes as i walked away.

I made my way over to Robin and Nancy as they trailed behind. "Oh my god, they're so adorable. I just wanna squeeze them, you know?" Robin said as she looked at Lucas and Max.

Robin put her arm in mine as she laid her head on my shoulder. "You know, speaking of on and off relationships, if i'm permitted to see a silver lining in this end of the world doom and gloom, it would be the rekindle of old flames that should have never been sniffed out" Robin said.

I gave Robin an annoyed glare. "What are you talking about?" Nancy asked. "Nothing. She's talking about nothing" i said. "What? I didn't mean it as a hint or anything" Robin said as she put her hands up in surrender.

"Right" i said with a small laugh. "But if i did mean it as a hint would it be so terrible? To wish happiness for my friends? Especially one who needs some happiness right now?" she questioned.

"Do you think i'm not happy?" i asked as i removed my arm from hers. "No, no... I'm sure you are. Happy, independent and blah blah blah, but!... It's just, when we talk on the phone, you seem to be interested in what Steve's doing or who he's going out with so i thought
maybe-"

"Maybe what? He's my friend Robin. I wanted to see how he was doing" i said. "Wait, you like Steve?" Nancy asked. "No!" i exclaimed. "Yes" Robin said as she coughed loudly. "I don't have feelings for Steve. I'm... Focusing on myself" i said through gritted teeth.

Robin rolled her eyes as she let out a small scoff. "Anyways. How are you and Johnathan doing?" i asked Nance so i could avoid the subject. "We're fine" she said as she kept walking. "Are you sure?" Robin questioned.

Nancy stopped in her tracks and slowly turned around. "What do you mean are you sure?" Nancy asked. "It's just... Back at the library when i asked you about Johnathan it's like you winced or flinched or something-"

"I didn't flinch or wince! Johnathan and i are fine!" Nancy exclaimed. "Okay! I won't try and fix either or your love lives!" Robin exclaimed. We all went quiet as we kept walking.

"Okay... It's just... Johnathan was supposed to be here for the break, and then he backed out at last minute for some vague, mumbly, Johnathan reason. And to be honest, i'm not that surprised because i've been feeling him pulling away. And i don't know if it's because we're 2,000 miles away or if he met someone new or what. And now, i can't find out why because apparently he's blown up his family's house phone because i keep getting his machine! So yeah, if the mention of his name caused me a slight muscle spasm on my face, that's... Probably why" Nancy rambled.

"That sounds... Rough" i said. "Yeah, it also seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to wince or flinch or something" Robin said giving Nancy a small smile. Nancy gave her a soft smile back.

"What about you Joy? Any confessions you would like to make?" Robin said with a grin. "I don't think i am longer interested in men. Or anyone. I think i have the attention span for them anymore" i said with a smirk. I knew this answer would annoy Robin.

"But seriously Joy. Do you actually like Steve?" Nancy asked. I opened my mouth to speak but i didn't know what to say. It was almost as if there was a hint of jealousy in her voice. Not viscous or vengeful jealousy. More like she begged for me to say no in her brain.

I always liked Nancy. She was the only girl who was always kind to me. She let me stay at her house the night i was chased by the Demogorgon, her and Johnathan always tried to involve me in their plans, and we fought the Demogorgon together.