Chpt 53: The Hard Truth

I swam through the opening in the ground and was flung into the upside down. I took a gasp of air as i coughed all the water out of my lungs. As i tried to catch my breath, i looked around for Steve.

I felt my heart drop as i saw him on the ground with a strange bat like creature wrapped around his neck whilst other bats were trying to bite his stomach.

I ran over to an abandoned boat and grabbed a paddle. Once i grabbed the paddle, i ran to Steve's side and stabbed the creature that was trying to bite Steve.

Suddenly, i saw Nancy, Robin and Eddie run towards us. Robin stood on the creature that was wrapped around Steve as i stabbed it. "Kill it! Kill it!" Eddie yelled.

Nancy and Eddie were trying anything they could to keep the other bats away from all of us. As the creature around Steve's neck was loosening it's grip, another launched into Robin and wrapped its tail around her neck.

"Joy!" Robin exclaimed. I tried to pull the bat off of her while Robin tried to push it off her neck. It tried to stay put but eventually gave up and flew off.

I looked to Steve who had finally gotten the creature away from his neck. Steve grabbed the bat by its long tail and began smashing it off the floor.

He kept bashing the bat off the floor and then tore it in two. He spat blood out of his mouth as he tried to catch his breath. "Are you okay?" i exclaimed as i ran towards him.

"Ask me tomorrow?" he questioned with a small weak smirk. "Uh guys, do you think these bats have like rabies?" Robin asked. "What?" Steve questioned.

"It's just that rabies are my number one greatest fear. And i think we should get you to a doctor like really soon because once the symptoms set in, it's too late. You're already dead."

We all gave her a judging look. Suddenly, a loud shriek could be heard from the distance. We all looked up to see a swarm of bats flying in our direction. We all huddled together as the bats flew right in front of us.

They all swarmed around the gate so we couldn't escape. "All right. There's not that many. We can take them, right?" Eddie asked. "Do you really think we can take down 20 deadly bats?" i questioned sarcastically.

"We can take them" Steve mumbled. Another loud shriek echoed the upside down as we saw another swarm of bats coming in our direction.

"You were saying?" i mumbled back. Nancy began looking around for somewhere we can go. "The woods! Come on!" she shouted. We all ran after her in fear that the bats might try and get us again.

We ran and ran until we spotted a large fallen rock which we could take cover under. We all tried to keep as quiet as we could as we heard the bats flying over us.

Once it went quiet, we all took a sigh of relief. "Man, that was close" Robin said. "Too close" Eddie said. As i was trying to catch my breath from running, i looked to Steve who looked weak.

He suddenly fell back and leaned on the rock. "Jesus" i mumbled as i walked over to him. "No. I'm fine. I'm fine" he mumbled. "No, no, no. Your not. Your loosing blood" i said as i made him sit down.

He groaned as he moved his hand away form his wound. The wound that the bat left was deep. I heard Robin make small disgusted noises from behind me. "Okay.... Okay" i mumbled as i began tearing my shirt. It was a thin, white vest top so it was easy to rip

"So the good news is i'm pretty sure wooziness is not a symptom of rabies. But if you start having muscle spasms or hallucinations or you start feeling really aggressive like you want to punch me, let me know" Robin rambled.