Chpt 28: Boys

"We've got our first sentence" i said opening the backroom window. "Really? What is it?" Steve asked holding two ice creams. "The week is long" i said in a Russian accent.

"We'll that's thrilling" Steve said sarcastically. "Yeah well, it's a start" i said. My eyes drifted from Steve to the people behind him. I saw El and Max holding multiple shopping bags.

Eleven was wearing a colourful play suit. I was confused to see her wearing something so colourful, then it occurred to me, she's not even allowed to be here. "El?" i called out. Elevens face dropped as she saw me.

"What are you doing here?" i questioned. "Shopping... With Max" she said nervously. "Did you ask dad?" i asked with a smirk. "No... Did you tell Steve you like his hair?" she asked.

My smirk faded away. "Okay bye, bye El. Have fun" i said shutting the window quickly. Before it could close, Steve pushed it open. "You like my hair?" he asked with a smug smirk.

I glared at El who was laughing with Max as they both ran away. "I never said that" i said. "Really? Because you always make fun of my hair" he teased.

"I know... Because your hair is stupid... And you spend to much time on it" i said crossing my arms. "Well i spend time on it for you babe" he said sarcastically. "Okay we're done here" i said slamming the window closed.

Robin, Dustin and i continued working on trying to crack the Russian code for another couple of hours. "Okay, i think that's it" i said sitting on the til in front of Steve. "Well?" he questioned.

"The silver cat feeds, when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice, if you tread lightly."

"That makes no sense" he said. "Yeah, it's in code. Remember, we've been over this!" i exclaimed. "Robin translated, now i'm going to try and crack the code, keep up!"

I looked at the clock and groaned. "I have to go back to work. I have my last group of people then i'm going home" i said. "Your going already?" he questioned.

"Yeah, "you do realise i still have to work even when you're here, right?'" i said mockingly. Steve gave me a forced smile as i waved goodbye.

I walked into work and began looking at my next group of teenagers for the escape room. "Okay so... Group 5" i said to myself looking for the name.

I searched down on the list of names until i finally found the group that's on now. I froze as my heart dropped to my stomach. I tried to look for the time that they were coming in, but it was too late. I heard footsteps walking into the store.

All i wanted to do was run into Steve. But then it occurred to me, since when do i go running into Steve for help. I can do this. I can handle this on my own.

"Joy?" i heard a voice say. I sighed as i looked up. Whitlock. Whitlock was the name on the paper. I saw Jake giving me a small smile as he walked in.

"Hi, what can i do for you?" i asked. "I have an appointment" he said. "Yeah, it says you have a group of four" i said trying to keep it professional.

"I actually booked this so i could talk to you... Can we go get some coffee or something?" he asked. "I'm busy." "Since when does Joy Hopper turn down a coffee?" he questioned.

"Since the person asking me busted up my friends face. And then tried to bust up mine" i snapped. "I deserve that" he mumbled. "Yeah, you do. Now i'm going to ask you to leave."

"Joy, please. I just want to talk. Nothing more" he said. "I said i'm busy Jake. Now i'll say it again, i think it's time for you to leave." He sighed.

"I've been going to therapy. I have a girlfriend. I told her about you, about what i did to you. She told me i should get closure. That's what i've come to do" he said.