Chpt 48: Vecnas Curse

Everyone continued looking for clues as i just stared at the clock. I wasn't one hundred percent sure if it was real... That's what scared me. I jumped as i felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

I let out a sigh of relief when i saw it was just Steve. "What are you doing? We need everyone to help" he said. "I know, i am" i said. "Really? Because it looks like you're just daydreaming about this damn clock."

"I. Am. Helping" i snapped. "What's wrong? You've been acting strange all day" Steve said. "'Maybe because we're in a creepy abandoned house where a demon might be living" i said.

Steve tilted his head as he nodded. "Okay, fair enough" he mumbled. "Now come on, we have to look for more clues" i said as i walked into his shoulder.

We both walked into the dining room and looked around. "I think this is where Nance said the Creels were killed" Steve said. "Nance?" i questioned. "What?" "Nothing it's just... You two seem to be quite... Close again" i said.

"We've always been close. I just haven't seen her for a while" he mumbled. "You haven't seen her for a while because she's your ex, Steve. People aren't usually friends with their exes."

"People are still friends with their exes, Joy. Me and you are still-" Steve began to say but stopped himself. I tried to hold in my smile. "We're still what?" i asked with a smirk.

"Nothing. We're nothing. You've made that quite clear" he mumbled. "What's that supposed to mean?" i questioned angrily. "You've been giving me the cold shoulder ever since you got here. And we haven't spoken since you left. You've made it obvious you don't want to be my friend."

"Okay look, i get that your pissy i didn't answer your letter, i get that. I should have read it. And i should have reached out to you. But you are the one who has been nothing but rude to me since i got here. It's not my fault i had to move. And you could have tried to do more to get in contact with me."

"Why should i bother, Joy? You left. I didn't think you were coming back!" he exclaimed. "Well i am back! I'm back in this shitty town even though it's the last place i want to be! But i'm here because i knew something bad was happening in this town and i didn't want you to get hurt!" i shouted.

Steve paused. "That's why you're here?" he asked. I stayed quiet. "You came back to make sure i was okay?" he questioned. "And everyone else... Obviously" i mumbled. "Jesus Joy, you can't even say one nice thing to me! Did you come back for me or not?!" he exclaimed.

I shook my head and sighed. "This is why we never would have worked. Everything always just ends up in a fight with you" i said looking at the ground. "Things wouldn't have worked because you're scared. Your scared of everything. You always act so high and mighty but admit it. You are afraid."

I looked up at him with teary eyes. "I didn't want to be afraid. I wanted to try with you. But you said you didn't want a girlfriend who's practically a ghost. Because apparently, that's what everyone thinks i am now!" i shouted.

"I never said that!" Steve exclaimed."Yes you did! And so did my moms boyfriend. You all expect me to go back to the way i used to be but how am i supposed to do that when you treat me differently!"

Steve bit his tongue as he shook his head. "We better go back to the others" he mumbled as he began walking out of the room. "You mean to Nancy?" i questioned.

He stopped suddenly and looked back at me. "This is why everyone treats you differently. Because you are different. And this new Joy isn't the one who tutored me four years ago" he said as he left.