Language is Hard (day6, stray kids, got7)

English is in italics.

----------

DAY6, GOT7, and Stray Kids were hanging out in one of their building's dance studios. The reason? Who cares, they're all just in the same room. DAY6 were doing stuff with their instruments, GOT7 were chillin' on the couches, and Stray Kids just finished their "Levanter" dance practice before everyone came in and was cooling down.

Suddenly, Jae made a random outburst. "Korean is hard."

"Well, you're getting better," Wonpil said, "so don't pretend you're completely clueless."

Jae just sighed and went back to tuning his guitar.

"You know what is hard, though?" Hyunjin said, "English. I major in it, and phew, let me say that the language is QUITE inconsistent."

"Sorry, can't relate," Jae, Younghyun, Mark, Jackson, Bambam, Chan, Felix, and Seungmin said at the same time.

"However, I can definitely agree with the inconsistent part," Jackson added, "You learn a rule, then the millions of exceptions to said rule."

"Easy for you all to say, you guys weren't even born here," Yugyeom said, "or you guys studied abroad or something."

"Well, fine," Jackson said, "If you guys wanna learn English, we can tutor you guys later."

"I would if I had time," Youngjae said.

"Then let's practice. English only time for the next 10 minutes. Starting now!" Felix said.

"Wow, your accent is way more Australian than I thought," Younghyun said, "More Aussie than Chan. And damn boy, your voice is VERY deep."

"Hey, my accent's pretty Aussie, too!" Chan objected.

"I'm sorry, but how long are we doing this again?" Han suddenly said, "I mean, I speak English and everything, but I don't exactly like speaking it too much..."

"It's only for 10 minutes," Chan said in Korean, "And practice will make you more comfortable. If it's unbearably uncomfortable, you don't have to, but I recommend you participate for at least a little bit."

"HEY!" Hyunjin yelled, "Why you speak Korean?!"

"Because I'm fluent," Chan said, "But I'll speak English now."

"First things first," Jae butted in, "Hello! My name is Jae, and I will oversee this English time because I'm the self-proclaimed most fluent."

"Boi, shush," Younghyun said, to which everyone laughed, "Hello, we," putting a major emphasis on the word "we", "are going to survey this English time. As he said, this is Jae, and I am Brian. I usually don't like being called that, but for the sake of this, I will go by that name. Never call me that after this. Never call me Brian after this. Never. Or else you're gonna get whooped." He switched to Korean to get his point across, but decided not to switch at that last part.

All the English speakers cackled, leaving everyone else in the room confused.

After Jackson translated everything for the sake of mercy, Mark spoke, "Let's begin with something simple: introductions! Say your name and age."

Everyone made a circle with Mark, Jackson, Jae, Younghyun, Bambam, Chan (who told everyone to call him Chris for the time being), Seungmin, and Felix in the middle. Everyone sat except for Han and Jinyoung, who were standing, since they had sufficiently good English skills as well, though still said they had some work to do, that being the reason they weren't completely in the middle with all the others.

So everyone did that pretty well, with a few, let's say, weird things...?

"Hello, my name is Youngjae! I'm 23 years old, and I can speak Engrish!"

"English, not Engrish," Bambam corrected.

"Close enough," Jinyoung commented.

"Hi everyone! My name is Yoon Dowoon, and I am 24 year old. I like drum, I love drum, yes, I'm drum."

Jae burst into laughter.

"A drum indeed, Okay next!"

"Wait, a drum?" Felix asked, "Where did he get that from?"

"Just...don't ask..."

"Hi! My name is Minho! You know? I know. Lee Know!"

"That was major cringe," Jae muttered audibly.

"Dude, don't diss his intro," Chan said.

"Please pardon his roasts. Be glad he's not as good at roasting in Korean, because he'd burn you all terribly," Younghyun said.

"Oof," Bambam said out of the blue.

"Okaaaay, now that we've done that, time for round two. We are going to give you five words and three phrases in English, then you have to translate them into Korean. Understand?" Seungmin asked.

Everyone nodded.

"By the way, this is a competition, so the first hand up that we see goes first. Winner gets a smoothie on us," Jackson said.

"OK, first off, how do you say hello?" Seungmin asked.

Everyone's hands bolted up.

"I saw Sungjin first."

"Hello."

"Correct! Oh sorry, I mean correct!"

"Next, how about cucumber?" Mark said.

He, Jackson, and Bambam had to stifle laughs as the other GOT7 members realized what the word was.

"Ah, no! Not cucumber!" Youngjae yelled. Everyone started laughing.

Everyone was too busy laughing to remember what they were doing.

"OK, let's do something else," Jae said. He left the studio and came back with a notepad. He called the English speakers (plus Han and Jinyoung) over to a corner.

"Ah crap, here we go again," Wonpil said.

-------------

I cringe slightly, yet I find this story lowkey funny.