121U (dowoon, day6)

Inspired by the song "121U" by DAY6.

-----------

Yoon Dowoon is a very insecure, shy boy. He feels like he can't do anything right. His parents are unsupportive of his life choices, hating his guts for wanting to pursue music instead of medicine. His friends are minimal, with only four close ones that he always distances himself from because of how many friends have left him in the past. His bullies are relentless, teasing and insulting him every day for being a loner and an outcast. His exes are unloving, seemingly kind and caring but actually only wanting him for looks or to make love.

In conclusion, a total loser.

But then, she came along.

At first, Dowoon stayed as far away as possible. She wants to sit with him at lunch? He moves tables. She wants to talk to him? He puts in earbuds to stay away from socialization. She wants to get to know him? Dowoon politely, yet curtly, tells her to stay away. She wants his number? He declines.

He doesn't want to be mean, he just doesn't want to get hurt.

Just like all the other times.

But this girl was different.

Most of the time, if other girls did it, they'd eventually give up after a day or two. But she kept going on for days, which turned into weeks. The girl really wanted to get to know him.

"Come on, Dowoon, just have at least one conversation," Wonpil said one day at lunch as the girl kept eyeing him from across the room, "You know yesterday, when there was one milk left, she let me have it, even though she was in front of me."

"No, and you know why," Dowoon said.

"Dowoon, you probably can tell that she's different. She's on the girls' basketball team, and I've talked to her before since I'm on the boys' team. She's actually kind, not fake like many of the other girls here," Younghyun chipped in.

"Yeah, and she's in my AP Lang class, she's smart and really knowledgeable, not a dumb popular," Sungjin added as he came to sit down.

"She lives across from me, she baked cookies and gave them to my family and the other neighbors," Jae said, "She even helped me with homework once in the library."

It's always like that...

Actually, no.

This is different.

"Alright, fine," Dowoon said as she came up to the table.

"Hey Younghyun, Jae, Sungjin," the girl said. She was surprised when Dowoon said, "Hi to you, too."

"Yay! You don't actually hate me!" she cheered, "You actually talked to me!"

"I still don't like you, though," Dowoon muttered.

"Hey, be nice," Wonpil whispered, slapping him lightly.

"It's fine, Wonpil," she said, "I've noticed that he's been heartbroken several times, so it's natural for him to not trust me at first."

Dowoon gapped, "How...?"

"I may be new, but not that much," she said, "I saw the way you reacted when Ray and Shaila broke up with you about a month or so ago. I moved here in January, and it's March, so," she chuckled, "yeah."

Dowoon sighed. "Okay then."

"Oh, by the way, my name's Marin. Marin Norwell," she said, holding out her hand.