04. Happy Birthday To You Too

Tilly was seated in the lobby of her dads penthouse building. It was the morning of her 20th birthday and she was spending it with Harry Styles. Yes, Harry Styles.

She looked up from her phone when she heard someone call her name. It was him. He looked dashing. He wore a peach colored short sleeved shirt with a collar and light blue jeans. She was wearing a dark red blouse with a short denim skirt. She was thankful she didn't dress too outrageous.

"Happy birthday, Matilda." He said and she melted. She stood up and gave him a friendly hug. "Thank you... so much." She said then looked up at him. "Where is this place you're taking me to? Hm?" She asked with a smirk. He grins and walks out of the building with her and into his car.

"It's about twenty minutes from here. It has the best breakfast you'll ever taste in your life! I make sure to come every time I'm in London. I hadn't even came yet since I've been in town so I thought it'd be perfect to come with you. Also, I'm glad you found time in your day to spend with me. Especially with it being your birthday and all, you're basically spending the beginning of your birthday with someone you barely know."

She listened to him and nodded. He was right, most people wouldn't waste their birthday on someone they'd only met about three times prior. But it just felt so right with Harry. Everything made sense with him.

"Of course... I know it's a bit strange, but with you it doesn't bother me, it feels like we've known each other forever. Also, my dad had a meeting this morning. So I would've just stayed in my room this morning." She said and he smiled in response.

The rest of the ride was filled with comfortable chatter. Everything came to easy to them. They could talk just about anything together. That's a rare chemistry and they had it.

They arrived at the breakfast diner and once he parked, they walked into the place together. They got a table and ordered.

"Tomorrow is the interview I have with your dad. We're doing it at his office. You should try to come, I'd love to see you, y'know?" He said sincerely and Tilly blushed. He wanted her to come and that made her so giddy and excited.

"Yes, of course, I'll definitely try to. I know I'm attending a fashion show tomorrow night for a report for school so if I can squeeze it in, I definitely will."

Their food came and they ate in a comfortable silence. After eating, Harry and Tilly walked out to his car and he started driving.

"Wanna go to the park? I know it's your birthday, I just... I don't really wanna say goodbye yet." He said and she nodded. "I don't either... let's do it." He grinned at her quick response and he drove them to the park. Once there, they got out and walked around together.

"I love nature so much."

Harry looked at her as she looked around at the trees. As it was fall, leaves were falling all around them. It was a scene straight out of a movie.

"Oh, do you now? That's great, I do too... I'm sure you must love Central Park then?" He asked her. He knew that where she went to school was in New York, meaning she would be right there close by to Central Park.

She nodded in response to what he said.

"Yes... me and my friends... well, I'm honestly not sure if they're my friends anymore, we go there all the time together. We'd bring a blanket and sit in the park for hours just studying. It's really spectacular, you couldn't ask for a better study spot." She said.

They then stopped walking and Harry and her sat on a bench under a tree. "What are you studying for?" He asked. He was interested in her interests. He has been greatly enjoying getting to know more about her.

"Journalism. I want to follow in my dads footsteps, continue the Ryan legacy, you know?" She joked this then shook her head, "No, seriously, I'm really interested in journalism. For the right reasons, of course. My father is my role model. He reports the truth, nothing false. And he doesn't pry into the lives of the famous or who he's interviewing. Yes he does his research so he can ask questions, but he doesn't take it too far. He doesn't get too personal or uncomfortable with it. That's what I love. I long be to just like that in my career."

Harry listened intently to everything the girl said. The way she described her passion really lit a fire in Harry's heart. He loved watching her show excitement for what she loves. He can tell she cares deeply for it and he liked that a lot.

Passion and drive is something he finds very attractive in women. Seeing Tilly so pumped up and into her journalism was really special to Harry. Since he has so much love and passion in music, he wants to be with someone who has that same thing with something too. Whether or not it's music, he doesn't care, he just wants to be with somebody who cares deeply enough for something as he does.

"That's incredible, Til." He said. She blushed. "Yeah, sorry if I rambled on a bit... once you get me started, it's hard to get me to stop."

He laughs, "I'm the same way with music. It's everything to me, it always has been. When One Direction broke up, I felt so lost. But I'm finally getting myself back into music again. I'm so happy to say that again. Hopefully soon I'll be out with something."

Tilly was very excited to hear that. She wasn't a die hard fan of the band, but she did really like their music. It excites her to see that one of them is definitely going to stick around in the music scene.

"That's great, Harry! You know, you always were my favorite." She teased and he laughed. "Oh really? And how many of us in the band have you said that to before?" He joked.

They spent the rest of the morning in the park and after a while, they piled up back into Harry's car and he took her back to her penthouse. He walked her into the lobby.

"I had a great time today with you, Tilly. I really hope I can see you tomorrow, yeah?"

She nods. "Yes, I'm definitely gonna try my best. Thanks for taking me out today, I had a blast. This is so far the best birthday I've ever had."

He chuckles since they barely did anything. "Aw, well I'm glad to hear it. Goodbye, Matilda. And happy birthday again."

"Happy birthday to you too," she said this and instantly regretted it. Why was she so stupid?! He laughed and blew her a kiss and left.

When she got into the penthouse, she saw that her dad was still out. She sighed and called Gracie. She told her how perfect the morning had been and also how it ended.

"You told him happy birthday?!"

Gracie laughed hysterically and Tilly held the phone from her ear as the laughing got louder. Once it was safe to do so, she brought it back to her ear.

"Yes, I told Harry Styles happy birthday right after he said it to me because my brain is against me and wants to see my world crumble." She said and Gracie laughed again.

"Oh, Til, I'm so sorry... only you could do something like that." She said and Tilly smiled. They talked a bit more but then her dad came home. They were going to go shopping together then go for dinner.

"Ok, Grace, I'll talk to you later, ok?"

She nods. "Alright, Til. Happy birthday again. Don't say it back!"

Tilly rolls her eyes playfully as Gracie laughs at her own teasing. "Oh fuck you," with that, Matilda hangs up the phone and goes to spend the rest of her birthday with her father.

Me when i'm uploading this in the break room at work 🥲 anyway, hope you enjoy; sorry it took a while!! may try to upload again later tonight.

also, if you haven't seen my latest announcement, i have a surprise book drop hopefully coming this weekend!!! if it all pans out right, it'll be out by Saturday morning but be mindful that it could be later as I work ALL damn weekend.

love yas, Kendall