23. Glass

Matilda woke up next to Harry, who was asleep and hungover from the night before. This was only the fourth day in their two weeks of "living together" and she did not like this side of Harry that she was seeing. Maybe this two week thing was a bad idea? Or maybe it is sending her a sign to get out while she can? She sat up and sighed as she saw the mascara on her pillow that she had cried off last night. She then looked at Harry again, shocked that he was even in the bed with her. 

"This is the fifth drink you've had tonight." 

"So?" 

Matilda sighed and sat next to him at the counter and slowly slid the cup away. He groaned and grabbed it back. "Stop, Matilda, this doesn't involve you." He said harshly, it was a tone he had never used with Matilda and a tone he would never have dreamed of using with her if he was sober. 

She frowned a bit. "I would just like to hang out with my boyfriend since I only have two weeks with you." She said. 

He threw the glass at the wall and it shattered. "Then hang out then, damn it! Just leave me alone." 

Even though he was drunk, he knew he fucked up. Especially with her past of abusive boyfriends, that was a side of him he never thought would come out with her. She didn't see this coming either. 

"Til.." 

She shook her head and stood up, walking to the guest room quietly and closing the door. She sat on the bed  in pure disbelief then laid down, crying herself to sleep. 

Matilda got up and went to the kitchen, the shattered glass laid all over the floor and she sighed. She put on some gloves and carefully started cleaning the glass up. She got it all up then stayed sat on the floor, leaning her head back against the wall. 

Thoughts of the night before swarmed her head and she broke down. How was that man she was with last night be the same, sweet Harry she has been in love with the past two months? It just did not make sense to her at all. 

Harry then walked into the room and she quickly wiped her tears away. She stood up and leaned  against the counter, looking out the window. His backyard was beautiful, she thought. 

He wrapped his arms around her from behind and she pushed him off of her. "No, don't you do that. Do not do that. You are not going to act like last night didn't fucking happen. God, I knew this was going to be a bad idea. Fuck!" Harry backed off with his hands up. He leaned against the counter as tears streamed down his face. 

"Matilda-" 

"Don't fucking say my name." 

He broke down and stared at her, the back of her at least. How her long red hair fell perfectly down her back. He knew, in this moment, he didn't deserve her and he never would. 

"I love you..." He said in broken sobs. She turned around to look at him and she broke down too, falling to the floor on her knees as tears flew down her face. He fell to the floor as well and crawled to sit in front of her. 

He broke everything they had leading up to now and never in his life will he forgive himself for this. Matilda put everything she had into him and he fucked it all up. This was a pain he had never felt before and he knew nothing would even come close to hurting this bad again in his life. 

She reached for his hands and looked into his eyes. He held her hands tight, knowing this was probably the last physical contact he would have with the love of his life. And he was right. 

"I want to go home." 

His heart shattered, broken into a million tiny pieces like the glass from the night before. Hey nodded and stood up, going to the guest room and shutting the door. 

She called Gracie, crying. "I need you to come get me. Now." She said. 

"I'm coming right now. Are you safe, are you ok?" 

"I'm safe, I'm not ok. Just please hurry." She said and got off of the phone with Gracie. Gracie practically flew to Manchester, it was a wonder she didn't get a ticket for how fast she drove to get there. She pulled up to Harry's place and saw Matilda standing on the porch with her bags in hand. 

Matilda threw her bags into the backseat and glanced back at the house one more time. Harry was in the window, and they locked eyes. She gave a sad wave and got into Gracie's car. Gracie sped off with Matilda and Harry fell to the floor crying harder than he ever had in his whole life.