24. I Want Your Midnights

It was New Years Eve and Matilda was getting ready for her dad's party at Gracie's house. It was her, Gracie, and Gracie's now girlfriend Billie there. 

Matilda stared at herself in the mirror, completely lost to the world until she saw Gracie's snapping fingers in her face. She shook herself out of her thoughts and looked at her best friend. 

"I'm sorry, what happened?" 

Gracie sighed a bit and sat on the bed. "You are not yourself... definitely not as happy as you were the past two months. I miss the old Matilda." She said. 

"Well, she's gone." 

Gracie frowned and looked over at Billie. Billie sat next to Gracie and looked at Matilda. 

"It will be ok, honey... if it is meant to be, which we feel like it is, it will all work out." Billie said. Matilda nodded slowly and stood up. "I'm going to get dressed." She said and went to the bathroom. 

...

They arrived at her dad's party a couple of hours later. Gracie wore a black pant suit with her hair in a low pony tail and black tennis shoes. Billie wore a short black dress and knee-high black boots. Matilda wore jean bell bottoms and a yellow sweater. 

The couple danced together and Matilda stayed alone by the window. She knew that Harry was invited by her dad and she was wondering if he would show. She saw some people on his team arrive but still no Harry.

She went and poured herself a glass of wine and went right back to the window. Her dad came over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder, causing her to quickly turn then sink at seeing it was her dad and not Harry. 

"Why don't you come socialize with people, dear?" 

She shook her head and took a sip of her wine, looking back at the window. "I can't, daddy. Nothing makes sense anymore. It was only two months, but I built my everything around him. I know it's not over, it can't be... being here without his arm locked with mine just isn't right. I want him, I need him... I miss him." She said. 

Kevin shook his head. "You do not need him. You are Matilda Ryan. You will make it with or without him. You can do it baby, I promise. I didn't think I would get over your mom but look at me now. I promise you will be ok." He said. 

She slowly nodded and kept looking out of the window, not saying another word. Kevin frowned a bit and walked away from her, knowing she needed to work this out on her own. 

...

"Everyone, it's one minute to midnight!" 

Matilda looked away from the window and saw everyone gathering together to countdown to the new year. She finally gave up on Harry and joined her father by his side, wrapping her arm around him and laying her head against his chest. 

"I'm sorry, Tilly." Kevin whispered to his daughter. She shook her head and downed the glass of wine in her hand then set it down on the table next to her. 

5..

4...

3...

2...

1...

"Happy New Year!"

The crowd cheered and welcomed the new year together in kisses, dancing and drinking. Matilda excused herself to her room. She sat on the floor, leaning her head against her closed door. This year was already off to a bad start, crying alone in her room is not a good start to 2017.

Someone knocked on her door and she groaned, standing up and wiping her eyes. She prepared herself to be met with a horny couple hoping to escape the party and bang in her room. That's usually how these parties went, that is why she always locked her door during these events. However, when she opened her door, that is not what she was met with at all. 

"I wasn't going to come. But it was 9pm, I couldn't take crying anymore and I didn't want to start the new year off without the person I want to spend all of my years with. Tilly, I am so sorry about everything. I am not at all the person you saw that night. That is someone who should not have ever made himself known to you. I will work as hard as I possibly can to make sure you never see that drunken side of me again. You have every right to slam the door in my face, it is what I truly deserve from you, my love. I broke us, I broke everything we have worked towards and I am again so incredibly sorry. Matilda Ryan, I do not want to lose you. But if you can't imagine your life with me in it anymore after that night, I understand." 

Matilda stared at Harry and as he spoke, a single tear fell down her cheek. She touched his cheek softly which caused him to break down. Her soft and gentle touch was enough to completely break him. He did not deserve this, he did not deserve her. 

As he broke down, she took him into her arms and kissed his head. "I love you, Harry... I forgive you." She said and he kissed her passionately. 

"I love you too. And I will work every day to make up for that night, I promise you, Matilda Ryan." 

They stood there together for what felt like forever until Kevin came over to them. "You two want to come party? Also, nice to see you Harry." He said. 

Matilda nodded and held his hand. "Yeah, I need another glass of wine." She said and Harry nodded. "Ok, and I'm not going to drink, Tilly. Also, hi Mr. Ryan." He said. 

Matilda nodded and went back out to the party but Kevin stopped Harry. "Look son," He started, this was the most serious he had ever seen her dad, "I don't want Matilda to ever call me or Gracie like she did the other night ever again, ok? If you pull another stunt like this with her, I will not have anything else to do with you and I doubt she would want to either. You understand me?"

Harry nodded. "Yes sir, I am so sorry, I cannot apologize to you and her enough." He said and Kevin patted his back. "I know, son, I know." He said and Matilda called him. 

"Harry, come here!" 

He shook Kevin's hand then went over to Matilda and spent the first night of the year with the love of his life.