29. Complicated Return

Matilda got off the plane and was met with her mom and brother. They looked upset. She sighed a bit and walked up to them. Miles already knew so she was kind of curious as to why he was upset unless he was faking it to save her ass. 

"Look, I know you are upset that I didn't tell you but I had to keep it as tight lipped as I could because we couldn't risk people finding out." 

"It's not that, sissy." 

Matilda looked at her mother with a confused face. "Miles' father died two weeks ago." She said. Matilda shook her head. There was absolutely no way that happened. Why didn't they call her?!

She crouched down and looked at her brother. "Miles...?" She asked as tears filled her eyes. Her brother started crying and hugged his sister tight. She held her little brother and looked up at her mother. 

"Why didn't you call me?! I would have dropped everything and came home!" 

"I thought you didn't like him?!" 

"He's my brother's father! I should have been here for Miles!"

"Please stop yelling!" Miles yelled as he cried, hugging his sister tighter. Matilda sighed and looked at her mom. "What happened to him?" She asked and her mom sighed a bit. "Work accident." She said. 

They headed towards the car and made their way home. "So... Harry Styles?" Matilda nodded lightly. "Since October..." She said. Her mom, Kathy, then glanced at her as she was driving. "I'm sorry I yelled... It's just been really, really hard." She said. 

Matilda looked in the backseat at her brother who was now asleep. "It's ok... I'm sorry too, I just really wish you had called me." She said and Kathy nodded. "I know, I'm sorry, Tilly bug." She said. 

...

When they got home, Matilda went and FaceTimed her dad. He answered and smiled at seeing his daughter. "Hi angel, how was your flight?" He asked. She smiled lightly, very happy to see and hear her dad. "Hi, daddy... I-I need you to come to New York." She said. 

Kevin's face dropped. "What's wrong, are you ok? Is your mom ok?" He asked worriedly. "My brother's dad died, daddy. Mom is very upset and Miles is too, I need you." She said. He frowned and nodded. 

"I'm coming, darling, just stay tight ok? I should arrive by tomorrow." 

She nodded and teared up a little. "Thank you. I'll see you then." She said. They talked a few minutes more then got off the phone. Matilda then went to the living room where her brother and mom were watching a movie. She sat in the middle of them and held their hands. 

"I love you both... we will make it through this, I promise." 

...

Matilda and Miles didn't go back to school until Wednesday. Miles was taking time off to mourn and Matilda's new semester wasn't until then. It was now the next day and they were sitting on the couch together. Kathy was at work and they were watching a movie together. There was a knock on the door. Matilda was expecting her father but did not anticipate he would bring someone with him. 

"Harry?" 

He hugged her tight and she immediately hugged him back. "I am so glad to see you." Matilda whispered and he kissed her head. "I know." He responded. 

"Sissy, who's here?" Miles said as he came around the corner. He first saw her dad. "Oh hi, Mr. Ryan." He said and Kevin grinned, hugging the boy. "Hi, Mr. Miles. I am so sorry about what you are going through. Losing a dad is the worst pain to go through, I know how it feels. If you need anything, I'll be happy to help you." Kevin said. 

Miles nodded then saw Harry. His eyes widened. "Woah..." He whispered. 

Harry crouched down and stuck his hand out to Miles which he took and they shook hands. "Hi, little dude. I'm Harry... I hate we had to meet like this." He said and Miles smiled a little. "Hi, Harry... and thanks for coming, I appreciate it." He said and Harry nodded, standing up. 

Matilda let them in and they all watched tv and talked until Kathy came home. Matilda met her mother at the door. 

"I called dad, I felt like you needed to see him." She said and Kathy smiled a little, excited to hear that he was there. "Oh, ok.. thanks, Matilda. You know me well." She said and Matilda nodded. "My boyfriend also came with him..." Matilda said and Kathy gasped. 

"Harry Styles?! In my home?! Here?!" 

Upon hearing his name, Harry came into the kitchen. "Hi ma'am, it's very nice to meet you.. I am very sorry to meet you like this." He said. Kathy quickly set down her stuff and hugged the boy. "Oh, it is so nice to meet you, dear! Thank you so much for coming." She said. 

They spent the night talking together and they ate dinner then when it got to be Miles' bed time, Harry and Kevin got ready to leave but Kathy stopped them. 

"Why don't you stay here? Kevin, I have a guest room and Harry can stay in Tilly bug's room." She said. Harry chuckled at Matilda's nickname but Matilda nudged him. "Yeah, why don't you stay?" Matilda added. Since they were only staying until Friday, they obliged. Kevin went to the guest room and after putting Miles to bed, Kathy went to her room. 

Matilda and Harry went to her room and smirked, looking around. "Cute childhood bedroom, Tilly bug." He teased. Matilda flipped him off then playfully pushed him on the bed and got on top of him. 

They playfully wrestled and ended up in a tickle fight. After messing around with each other, Harry finally stopped them and laid back into her bed. "Ok, dear, I'm exhausted. I'll see you in the morning, ok my love?" He said and she nodded. 

"Goodnight Harry.. and thanks for coming." 

"Of course, goodnight." 

"Tilly bug..." He mumbled that last part under his breath and Matilda got her pillow, hitting him with it which caused him to laugh and with that, they ended their night and went to sleep.