14. Two, Three, Four

Harry woke up that morning to a text from Matilda wishing him a good morning. After texting her back, he got up and went downstairs to make himself a smoothie before heading to the studio.

There, he met with his producers and his manager. He got himself situated then decided to record a demo of Sweet Creature again and Kiwi.

Kiwi was a song that wasn't really about anything in particular, it was just a fun little song with a fun little name. He had done a demo of it once before but here he was doing another one with it.

He recorded it and listened to it over and over again. There was something missing with it, he just couldn't quite put his finger on it. He decided to take a break from it and go on and record sweet creature.

He then decided that this would be the final version that would go on the album.

After getting that situated, he decided to revisit Kiwi. He was still stumped on it. He asked to record it again to see if maybe it was just that taping but sure enough, after listening to the new demo, he was still unsatisfied. He then had an idea.

He called his friend and ex bandmate Niall.

"Hey man, what's up?" Niall asked as he accepted Harry's FaceTime call. "I need you to listen to this song for me if you have a second? There's something wrong with it but I just cannot figure out what it is." He said. Niall nodded. "Sure, let's hear it." He said.

They listened it together and Niall smiled once it ended. "I like it a lot, it's very cool, but I know what's missing. You need a sick guitar riff at the end. Add it and it will totally make the song." He said.

Harry thanked his friend and ended the call before redoing the song with the riff Niall sent to him after the call ended. Sure enough, it almost completed the entire song. It was way better. He only made a demo with it but knew it would make the final cut. He texted Niall and thanked him for the advice before continuing to work for a few more hours.

...

Harry FaceTimed Matilda that night. Every time her face came across the screen when she answered the call, he immediately smiled.

"Hi, Tilly."

She sent a smile right back to him and it grew when he spoke. "Hi, how was your day?" She asked. He proceeded to tell her about the song and how Niall had helped him with it. She thought it was kind of cool how they still stayed in touch. He didn't really talk about the band much so she didn't know he still talked to him.

"Oh, also, I think I have the final version of "Sweet Creature". You know, the song I wrote after we-" She cut him off. "Yes," she said with a light giggle, "I remember. You'll have to send it to me when you're able."

He nodded. "When I go back to the studio tomorrow, I'll send it to you." He said.

...

Sure enough, the first thing he did once he arrived at the studio the next morning was send her the finished product of "Sweet Creature". After doing that, he decided to make a demo of "Two Ghosts".

His team liked it even more when he recorded it, this was the first recording he had made of the song. He liked it a lot too but was still conflicting with himself about if he should put it on the album or not. He didn't want one song to ruin what we had with Matilda.

After recording a demo of that song, he went off into a separate room since he had gotten an idea for a new song. It was crazy to him how random words and tunes would just come to his head.

Meet me in the hallway

I just left your bedroom

Give me some morphine

Is there any more to do?

Just let me know I'll be at the door, at the door

Hoping you'll come around

Just let me know I'll be on the floor, on the floor

Maybe we'll work it out

I gotta get better, gotta get better

And maybe we'll work it out

I walked the streets all day

Running with the thieves

Cause you left me in the hallway

Give me some more

Just take the pain away

Just let me know I'll be at the door, at the door

Hoping you'll come around

Just let me know I'll be on the floor, on the floor

Maybe we'll work it out

Gotta get better, gotta get better

And maybe we'll work it out

We don't talk about it

It's something we don't do

Cause once you go without it

Nothing else will do

Once he finished writing it, he immediately went to tell his band what chords and instruments he wanted on the song. He was ready to record this right now. Once he got it all situated, he went and told his team he wanted to record it and showed them the lyrics. Once he was ready, they started recording.

"Two, three, four."