38. Fire to the Rain

Matilda was at work and as usual, there were reporters and paparazzi waiting outside for when she would get off. She waited her last table of the night and after bringing them their food, her boss Wally called her to the back. 

Matilda went back there and looked at her boss. "Yes sir?" She asked and he motioned for her to take a seat. "We need to talk about your future working here..." He said as he took off his glasses. Matilda shook her head, looking at her boss. "I don't think I understand...? I have worked here for a year and a half. I am the longest worker you have had here." She said, now a little upset. 

"Yeah, yeah, but this swarm of people sitting outside of the restaurant and not eating here is just not working. If anything, it is driving away customers." 

Matilda stood up. "With all due respect, my recent popularity is the best thing to happen to this damned restaurant, it's giving you publicity!" She exclaimed and he shook his head. "This is your last night at Wally's, Matilda. Turn in your apron after your table and you are released." He said. 

...

Matilda got to the hotel room and Harry came to the door to let her in. "Hey girl, how was work?" He asked. She shook her head and came in, sitting down on the couch. "I got fucking fired." She mumbled. He frowned. "What?" He asked and she sighed. "Yeah, he said that the swarm of paparazzi was driving away his customers." Matilda was almost crying as she told him this. 

"Oh Tilly... I am so sorry." 

Matilda started crying and buried her head into his chest. He sighed a bit and held her. He felt so bad, like he was to blame for this. Well, he kind of was. If they weren't following her around to get to him, she wouldn't have lost her job. Here it is, the start of him affecting her life for the worst. He knew it was only going to get worse from here and then she would get tired of it and leave him. Just like the rest of the girls he has ever had interest in. 

Matilda wiped her eyes and sat up. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a wimp." She said and he shook his head, holding her face in his hands. "You, my angel, are not a wimp." He said. She nodded and shrugged. "I have been with them for 18 months and this is how I get treated? It's so shitty!" She exclaimed and a couple of tears rolled down her cheeks again. 

"I know, dear, I know... I'm so sorry." 

...

Harry went out after calming her down to go get them some takeout for dinner. He wanted to do whatever he could to make her feel at least a little better. He came back to the hotel room and went to the bedroom where Matilda was laying in the bed. 

"Baby, I got our subs." 

Matilda nodded and got out of the bed, going to the kitchen area in the hotel room. He placed their food down and smiled at her. When she came over, he wrapped an arm around her and kissed her head. "I love you, Tilly bug." He whispered. She giggled and looked up at him. "I love you too." She said softly. 

They both got their food and sat at the table together and ate. As they ate together, Harry watched the love of his life. He was savoring every part of her because he just felt that her losing her job because of him was the beginning of the end and this broke his heart. 

"Are you feeling ok?" 

Harry shook his head and looked at Matilda. "Huh? Oh yeah, I'm ok." He said. She slowly nodded, feeling like he wasn't telling the truth. After eating, they went to the bedroom and started to watch the show they've been binging together Orange is the New Black

As they were watching, Harry spoke up. "So what're going to do now?" He asked. Matilda glanced at him. "I honestly don't know... I mean, I really need to have a job but I honestly can't even imagine working anywhere else that isn't there... it's crazy." She said. He slowly nodded and looked down. 

"Harry, what's wrong?" 

He shook his head. "It's nothing, Til, really. Let's just watch the show, yeah?" He said, diverting his attention back to their show they were watching. Matilda sighed a bit and nodded. She just hoped whatever it was that was bothering him wasn't her fault.