25. New Year, Old Me

It was the third day of the new year. Matilda decided not to go back to Manchester with Harry, which he completely understood. However, things still were not back to normal. Matilda was distancing herself from him, they didn't even call the day before, which is the first time they went a day without contact since they got together in October. 

Matilda was on her way to Gracie's house, her dad was driving her. She stared out the window and her dad turned the music down. "Hey kiddo, how are things going with Harry?" He asked. Matilda sighed a bit and shrugged. "I didn't even talk to him yesterday. He sent me a good morning text this morning and that is all we have really said to each other.." She said with a frown, looking at her father. 

"I'm sorry kiddo, hopefully it will get better. I'm sure it will resolve itself over time." 

He arrived at Gracie's apartment building. Matilda told her dad bye then went up to Gracie's apartment. Once inside, she plopped down on Gracie's couch. 

"Do you have any ice cream?" 

"Well, hello to you too," Gracie said and went to the kitchen, getting some ice cream and making her a bowl then bringing it to her, "Here you go, brat." She joked. 

"Thanks," Matilda ate a spoonful then looked at her best friend, "What is the longest you have gone without talking to Billie? Besides sleeping." 

"Two hours." 

"Oh my God." 

Matilda sighed and set the bowl on the coffee table, looking at her best friend. "Me and Harry went the whole of yesterday without talking. We talked when he left the night before yesterday back to Manchester and didn't talk again until this morning." She said. 

"Oh my God." 

"I know." 

Gracie went and poured herself and Matilda a glass of wine then came back, handing her a glass and sitting next to her. "I don't know, Til.." She said and Matilda took a sip from her wine then placed it on the coffee table, picking her bowl of ice cream back up. 

"I should just end it, shouldn't I?" 

"What the fuck?" Gracie faced her best friend and shook her head. "No ma'am, you should not "just end it". You two can work through this. It might take a while, but you will make it through this, I promise." Matilda nodded and saw that Harry was calling her. She grabbed her phone and her glass of wine and went to the balcony. 

"Hello?" She answered and took a sip of her wine. "Hey, Tilly. I'm on my way back to London." He said. She tilted her head and put him on speaker phone, holding her phone now with her left hand as she took a sip from the glass of wine in her right. 

"Why? Is everything ok?" 

"No not really. I don't like this weird distance between us. So I'm on my way, I got a hotel room booked. I'll see you tonight ok? Dress up, I'm taking you out for dinner." He said. Matilda was blown away but nodded to her phone in agreement, knowing of course he couldn't see her. 

"Yeah, ok. I'm with Gracie right now but I'll see you later. I love you." 

He smiled big, it was refreshing hearing her say those three words that right now, were feeling foreign. "I love you too, Tilly girl. I'll see you in a bit." He said then got off of the phone with her. 

Matilda smiled a little then went back inside. She sat down on the couch next to Gracie. "Is everything ok?" Gracie asked and Matilda nodded. "Harry is coming. He wants to take me out on a date." She said. Gracie smiled wide and grabbed Matilda's hands, squealing. 

"Yay! Why aren't you as excited as you should be?" 

Matilda sighed and shrugged her shoulders, leaning back on the couch after grabbing her glass of wine. "I don't know.. I just... I don't know." She said and looked up at her friend with tears filling her eyes. Gracie frowned and hugged her. 

"It's ok... It will be ok." 

...

Matilda and Gracie stood in front of Matilda's mirror in her room, staring at the dress they had picked out together for her date with Harry. She wore a short dark blue dress with long sleeves and blue platform heels to match. She was impressed with how nice she had dressed even though she was kind of depressed. Gracie helped her put some make up on and it wasn't that much longer later that Harry was knocking on the door. 

Gracie opened the door to let Harry in. "Hey Grace, where's my beautiful date?" He asked, looking around the room a bit. Gracie smiled and sat with him on the couch. "She is putting the finishing touches on her makeup." She said. 

A couple minutes later, Matilda walked into the room and took everyone's attention. Harry's jaw hit the floor looking at Matilda. She was just absolutely stunning. Gracie smiled, seeing how captivated Harry was by her. 

"You look... amazing, Matilda, just perfect." 

She blushed a little bit and nodded, pushing some hair behind her ear. "Thanks... you look good too. Are we ready to go?" She asked. He nodded and stood up. They told Gracie bye then went to Harry's car. He opened the door for her and they got in. 

"Where are we going?" 

Harry smiled lightly and glanced over at her as he drove. "We are going to one of the nicest restaurants in London." He answered. Matilda nodded with a small smile and looked out the window. Harry noticed her and placed his hand on her leg. 

"I love you, Tilly." He said in almost a whisper. She looked over to him and placed her hand over his. She smiled and nodded, picking his hand up and placing a kiss on it. 

"I love you too."