Chapter 4 - Assessment

Remy

"This is the mission room. We train and get our missions from a member of the Justice League here. The room expands into a training simulation with controlled gun fire and obstacles. Understand?" Kaldur asks.

I nod. Easy enough. Batgirl steps onto the circular ground, causing it to glow a faint blue. Artemis, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Wonder Girl stand by, watching my training session. Kaldur and Artemis are standing closer to each other. This is supposed to prepare me for the assessment that's going to be given by Batman and Black Canary.

This is going to be fun.

"We will begin with hand to hand combat. You will spar against Batgirl."

Taking that as my cue, I walk to the center of the floor. Batgirl smiles.

"You ready?"

I shift my feet and put my fist up. Even though my armor's on, I'm going to do this without any cannons.

That is impractical. It would be much more effective tactic to use your sonic cannon.

"Its call hand to hand combat, you idiot." I say before facing Batgirl full on. She raises an eyebrow, but doesn't say anything about my outburst.

"Begin," Kaldur says.

My fist flies in for a punch, but Batgirl easily deflects it. I she her going down and try to jump, she swipes me off my feet. My back hits the ground hard.

"Ow." I say, slightly exasperated. Batgirl helps me up.

"You are slow. You must watch for the next attack, be ready." Kaldur critiques.

"Got it." I reposition myself and stare at Batgirl. Her footing is solid, preparing for another attack. Her legs ready to kick out.

Determination burns in me. I know I can do better than that.

"Begin."

I bring my foot up and kick her in the side. She stumbles but brings her own foot up, it connects and I cringe. Baring my teeth, I keep standing with fist ready. Batgirl twirls around on her other foot but I catch it and throw her forward. She lands face first and I put one foot gently on her back.

"Focus on your movements, how fast you are. You let Batgirl slip a hit on you." Nightwing says.

I growl under my breath, irritated. "Okay."

We get back in positions and wait. Batgirl sits on the balls of her feet. Her arms are tight and near her body. She's going to be moving around and punching this time.

"Begin." Kaldur starts us off.

I attack with a punch, which is dodge by Batgirl. Not giving her time to react, I lash out with my left, hitting her in the jaw. She recovers quickly and skits to my side, ready to throw a punch. Seeing her out of the corner of my eye, I jump up and kick her in the chest. She falls backwards onto the ground.

"Well done. You adapt well." Kaldur comments. I help Batgirl up.

"Not bad, Red." Batgirl says, smiling.

"Thanks." Artemis eyes are narrowed at me, but Nightwing's face is pleasant. Cassie smiles and whoops once for me.

"Nice moves." Nightwing says.

"She can do better," Artemis says, looking at me through her mask.

"Wonder Girl, switch with Batgirl." Kaldur orders. Cassie complies.