Chapter 10 - History

Remy

I prop my feet up on the coffee table, looking at the faces of Conner, Jaime, Batgirl and Virgil. Batgirl stands by the couch, Conner leans against the wall while Virgil and Jaime share a couch.

It's been about a week since I've arrived at the Cave and made it my home. I've learned so much since I've gotten here, fight moves, about the Justice League, and the Team especially. Yet, there is still so much I don't know.

"So who founded the team? It wasn't the Justice League, was it?" I look up at Conner, his shirt's symbol attracting my eyes.

"Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin, who is now Nightwing." Conner answers, his eyes turning away from me.

"Nightwing was the first Robin? That's hard to see." Batgirl smiles. I've seen most of the teams faces and learned their names, but never Batgirl's, Robin's and Nightwing's names. Batman is so paranoid.

"He was a kid, just like anyone else. He just grew up." Batgirl says.

"So that means Robin came along after Nightwing became... well Nightwing."

Virgil looks away, Jaime is staring at the ground, and Conner is only looking at me. It's only when I notice the sadness in Batgirl's eyes that I understand.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. My heart aches for the boy I've never met. The second Robin, whose death is probably because of a clown that likes to mess around with Batman.

"It's not your fault." Batgirl says, looking at me.

A moment of silence lapse over us. I hate silence.

"Was that the whole original team then?"

"No," Conner answers. "It was me, Miss Martian, Artemis, Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash."

"Who's Kid Flash? Did he join the Justice League like Rocket and Zatanna?"

Conner looks at me, this time, angry. "He died during the invasion of the Reach." He stands up and walks away.

Not another one. So many die young, yet there's nothing we can do about this. It's just the line of business we're in, the hero business. Sometimes people get hurt, sometimes killed.

"I'm sorry. I just have to know about the Team."

"You should know." Jaime says, meeting me with his steady gaze. He's so calm and collective all the time. "You're on the Team now, you should know about it."

I take a moment to steady myself. I honestly hope there are no more dead kids I have to know about.

"So what happen after that? I know that the team stopped the Light, but after that."

"Five years went by," Batgirl starts. "Robin became Nightwing. Artemis and Wally, that's Kid Flash, retired from the hero show. Wally and Artemis were a couple."

Batgirl pauses for a moment, allowing me to let that sink in.

Artemis must have really loved Wally. Maybe that's why she so mean and suspicious of everything. She was deeply hurt by the loss of her loved one.

"That's when the Reach Invasion started. That's a long story though," Batgirl finishes, looking pointedly at Jaime.

She wants Jaime to tell me about the invasion.