Chapter 44 - Meat

—Remy

I have never had a death wise, nor have I ever felt suicidal, but now, death is all that I pray for.

My arms reach out and continue tearing apart the large metal machine. It was the same machine that Villains under the Reach's control were trying to steal from Wayne Tech. Now it's here in the souvenir room.

My arms finally rip off the final layer and pull out a sophisticated looking device. It's mostly circular and metal, with tiny dotted holes covering the entire surface. It's big enough for my arms to wrap around and carry, it's also much heavier than it looks. It's no problem though, the armor helps out a lot.

But now, it's my cage.

"So that's what it looks like," Wanda says. She hides her traitorous face underneath her black hood.

Why do you need this?

Be quiet, meat! My once friendly scarab hisses at me.

Wanda turns around, towards the door. "Bring it back to Red's room, we need to be there at nine to meet Blue Beetle."

Please, please leave him alone. You already have me. You don't need him.

Remy Emerson, we are putting Jaime Reyes on mode.

That sentence kills me more than being on mode myself.

My legs lift me up and my body carries the metal sphere to the doorway. Watching my body move without my commands, not being able to do anything... It's maddening.

I almost went insane when I first came to the realization I was on mode. Wanda had released me from her shadow tendril, my feet hit the floor, but I was still standing. Slowly, Black Beetle retracted his black tendrils from out of my scarab.

In the back of my mind, I'm chained up. Chains upon chains wrapped around me, restricted every movement. I can't do anything, except silently scream in horror.

Wanda Locke is a traitor, if that even is her real name. She is a lair. A spy. I don't even know if she's from the future. All I know, is that she set me up to fall, hard. The worst part, I actually thought she was my friend.

She's right behind me and my body walks to the door, just then, a red head speedster blocks my body's path.

"Hey, I was looking for you. Cassie was wondering where you were too, we wanted to do something fun tonight." He notices the metal sphere in my arms. "What are you doing? What's that?" Bart asks.

No. Bart, get away from me.

"Oh, hey Impulse." My mouth pulls into a sly smile. "I was just getting this for Nightwing. I'm not sure what it even is."

"Nightwing?" He asks, confused. I can feel the scarab getting irritated by Bart standing in her way. My eyebrows start to narrow.

"Nightwing hasn't even been in the mission room at all. He's making arrangements for Zatanna's funeral. They're keeping her body here until it's ready. Why would he ask for that?" He questions.

"I'm not sure, go ask him yourself." The words are spit from between my teeth.

"Are you sure Nightwing needs this?"

The Scarab's irritation has peaked and my face looks down at Bart.

"Get out of my way, meat."

His green eyes widen in horror and realization. He's frozen for a moment.

Run, Bart. Run.

He takes off, and my body throws itself out into the hall. The staple gun is activated and is shot at Bart's retreating figure. At the last second, Bart turns the corner and the staple hits into the wall.