Chapter 47 - Nothing

—Remy

My body is tired, but it's like I'm feeling it from far away. That's a perk, I guess. I don't really feel pain.

We haven't stop flying for a long time, it's been two days. The metal sphere is tucked into the Scarab so we didn't have to carry it by hand. It's dark, and the stars shine. It's funny, only a few days ago I was looking at those same stars, but in an entirely different situation.

All this time, being on mode, it's suffocating. I don't know how much longer I'll last. It would be easier, to let the chains overcome me. To cover me and tie me up far away from all this. To sink into darkness and never feel anything again.

But I think of Jaime, and my strength renews. His warm brown eyes. His brown skin, his smile. I just want all of it. I want to jump into his eyes and never come back. How did he do it? Stay on mode for so long. I don't know how long I can last.

My body continues flying over the street. It's a simple road, with houses lining each side. It's deserted, probably because it's two A.M.

Where are we going?

Do not concern yourself, Remy Emerson. Soon, the earth will be ours again. Then, you won't have to worry about your friends. They'll already be dead.

That's not going to happen!

Humans have always have a fighting will, that's a very admirable trait. Useless, but admirable. What would Humans be without that will, Remy Emerson?

What do you mean? We will always fight back, even if it seems impossible.

That's what you think, and everyone else on this planet.

What does the Scarab mean? What is she hinting at?

What are you talking—

My flying is disrupted with a violent yank. My body turns around to find a rope winding around my foot. The rope leads to Batgirl, holding it tightly, determination in her eyes.

"Batgirl. Ha, did you really think that would work a second time?" My voice says, laughing while producing a scythe that cuts the rope a beat before Impulse can get to it.

No, get away from me! They're going to make me hurt you!

A plasma cannon appears on my arm and blasts away the rooftop where Batgirl and Impulse are. I watch intently as the smoke begins clearing, and a batarang is thrown at my face. It whips my head back, hurting me temporarily. I silently cheer on Batgirl.

The Scarab's angry burns through my body, and she straightens my body out.

There is no time for this.

My body turns and the Jetpack fires up, and as we begin jetting off into the night, but another yank stops us.

The Scarab, angry and surprised, looks again at the problem. Wonder Girl is standing in the middle of the street, holding the end of her lasso tightly.

"Don't worry, Remy. We're not going to let you get away." She says, smiling. Determination fills my soul at the sight of her. Maybe I can survive this.

"Pathetic meat. You cannot stop us." My voice growls. The power in the jetpack increases, and it starts lifting Wonder Girl off the ground, but Impulse zooms up behind her and warps his around her waist, tethering her back to the ground. Then, Batgirl races from the building with a destroyed rooftop and grabs onto Impulse. Slowly, my body begins losing altitude.