Chapter 9 - Patrolling

Remy

The dark gloomy skies of Gotham are, surprisingly, not pouring water. The air is cool in the night air, but it's manageable. Nightwing, Tigress and I are patrolling along the cities edge. We're looking for someone stupid enough to do crime.

I glide in the air, enjoying the freedom of flight. On occasion I'll close my eyes and just feel the rush of flying. The wind rustles my hair, making it appear even more crazy than usual. My eyes glance over the city, so full of dark colors and flashing lights.

Tigress and Nightwing are running along the rooftops. Flipping and jumping through the air. Those little ninjas. I make sure to keep within yelling distant of them as I fly above them. They're graceful in the city lights.

The two figures come to a stop on a building on a corner. I maneuver and glide down to meet them.

"How's your shoulder holding up?" Nightwing asks as I retract my wings.

"Pretty good." I say, rolling my shoulder. "The stitches are gone and it's pretty much healed."

"Good." Nightwing says. Tigress only watches me, her eyes intense behind her mask.

"About your memory," Tigress says. "Are you sure there isn't anything you missed? Any details or information?"

It takes a lot of self-control to not roll my eyes. These two and Aqualad have been drilling me about my memory since we told them this morning.

"Yes, I'm sure. I notice things. If there was anything worthwhile, you would know."

"Because you would tell us of any information that would help bring down the Reach, right?" Tigress's voice gets a lethal edge to it. It's almost threatening.

"What's your damage?" I call her out immediately.

"No one knows who you are. No one has heard of you. Then you appear out of nowhere begging for help from us. That's a perfect set up for a spy."

"A spy? Holy crap, first you think I'm on mode, now I'm a spy? You're almost as paranoid as Batman!"

"You could be a real danger to the Team." Tigress steps forward, towering over me with her height. I hate it.

"Tigress." Nightwing warns, trying to get between us.

"And if you are. If you hurt anyone, I will make you pay." Her promise stings me. She doesn't trust me.

White hot anger fills me up.

"How dare you." I hiss. "How dare you accuse me of being a spy. I was held captive by the Reach, tortured for who knows how long and manage to bring their main ship down." The words are spitting out of my mouth. The fire keeps raging inside me.

"I don't know who I am. I don't know anything about me! I am so lost and confused right now. I'm terrified of the Reach and of them getting me back on mode. And yet you, the people I absolutely trust and care for, are sitting here accusing me of being something that I'm not."

Both Nightwing and Tigress are dead silent at my angry rant. Finally Nightwing steps forward, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Red, we didn't intend to hurt you. We are here for you, and we will help you figure out everything. But we have to be cautious, just in case."

I look at the man in front of me. His black hair gleaming in the night. His always covered eyes. I trust him, but if only he trusted me.

We don't need anyone, Remy Emerson. Let us go on our own.