Chapter 40- Aftermath

Jaime

I need to move my legs. Get up and stretch, but I don't budge an inch away from Remy's hospital bed. It's been two days since Cassie...

When I saw Remy get stabbed with the knife, my entire being began trembling. The thought of losing her paralyzed me until she began stumbling around. Before Cassie could make another move, Dusk appeared out of a dark portal and hit her away with a black tendril. Bart and I both jumped into action. My mind focused solely on Remy.

When I saw all the blood, I put my hands on the wound, trying to slow the bleeding. Remy was just staring wide eye up at me. Then her eyes closed, and my heart skipped a beat in fear.

Bart told me the whole story, since I refused to leave Remy's side. After I had ran to the infirmary with Remy in my arms, he, Dusk, M'gann and Conner had fight Cassie off for a long time. Artemis and Kaldur appeared on the scene a little while later, and with their help, they stopped Cassie. When they finally knocked her out, the black electronic beetle attached to her neck disintegrated into ash.

Dusk wanted to kill Cassie, but Bart was able to calm her down. Everyone was trying to figure out what happen, with Cassie hurting Remy and how the black electronic beetle got on Cassie, it all made no sense. Robin arrived on the scene just as Cassie was waking up. She had no clue what was going on.

As Bart told her, she began sobbing. She then told them about how she was just getting out of the Zeta Tube when she was hit by a black colored being. That was the last thing she remember.

Everyone was thinking the same thing, Black Beetle.

Robin comforted Cassie as she lost it. Everyone else was discussing what to do.

Dusk once again pitched the idea of her and Remy just going off on their own, but was quickly shot down.

Artemis asked Dusk what happened after Cassie killed Remy in her timeline. Dusk replied that a short time later, I was put on mode.

Artemis made the point that Remy didn't die, therefore, the future was changed from the one she knows about. It might almost mean that Remy won't ever be killed and I won't ever be put on mode again.

I had sighed in relief at this. Of course I was still at Remy's side, and she was still sleeping. The doctor had said that the knife had barely missed her organs. It was a simply a clean cut, and a very lucky one. With the bleeding stopped and the stitches, she would be fine in about ten days.

I had never felt so relieved in my life.

Since they brought her out form the medical room, she's been resting on the infirmary bed. She'll wake up every so often, but mostly she just sleeps. The doctor said that is all she needs to do for now.

I'm holding her hand at the moment. My lips are pressed against her knuckles, and I breathe against her skin.

"Hey, Jaime."

I look up and Remy is looking back at me. Her dark brown eyes shining.

"Remy! Hey, how are you feeling? Do you need anything?" I ask, leaning in closer to her side.

She looks at my face for a moment.

"Cassie was being controlled by the Reach." She states.

We all know this by now. "Yeah." I answer her.

She pulls in a deep breath, then winces in pain.

"Where does it hurt? I can go get the doctor so he can give you more pain killers." I say frantically.

She laughs softly, her hand covers her stitches.

"I'm okay. I just need to remember to not move around much." I calm down as she says that, and then she's looking back at me.

"Where's Cassie? I need to see her. She has to know that it's not her fault." She says, I see her lip trembling slightly at this.

"Remy, don't worry about that now. All you need to do is rest and heal, okay?" I say gently, clutching her hand tightly.

She squeezes my hand once, then we're smiling at each other. I lean over and kiss her lips. She reaches her hand up to my face, cupping my cheek gently. Then she winces in pain.

I pull away immediately. "Okay, no more kisses until you've healed up."

She pulls a pouty face. "That's unfair, I want some kisses now."

I shake my head, "Sorry, not in your condition."

She glares at me in mock anger and I give her the same look back. For a moment we just have a starring contest. Eventually, the corners of my lips start tugging upward, and hers does too. Now we're both ginning at each other, and it feels so good.

"One more kiss? I'll be good." She promises with an all too innocent expression. I cave in and give her a quick kiss.

I'm back to holding her hand, and staring at her beautiful face.

"Jaime, I think the worst is over." She says softly. Her dark eyes warming my soul. "I mean, Wanda said that Cassie was supposed to kill me, but she didn't. So that probably means I'm not going to die anytime soon." She's beaming now. "I think we're changed the future for good."

A grin is spreading across my face before I know it.

"I think you're right." I say as I kiss her hand.