Chapter 49 - Mother Ship

—Remy

I killed him. I killed Robin.

It replays through my mind. My body stopping right in front of him. I beg the Scarab not to do it, but it's too late. My scythe enters into his heart, and he looks at me, wide eyed.

I'm brought back to Jaime, when he forces me to look at him.

"Remy, listen to me. You didn't kill him. The Reach did. Right now, we have to turn the machine off and take out the Reach."

I look into his warm brown eyes, and determination fills my soul. I will not let the Reach win, I will fight them for Robin.

We both stand up, the armor covering my face once again.

"Take one side," I tell him as I go to the machine. We split apart and I ready a plasma cannon. I almost cry at the fact that I'm the one who moves my legs and arms. No one else does it but me.

We get into position. Sharing eye contact, we know it's time. We both fire, and the glass explodes. Both our beams hit the sphere and it disappears in a flash of energy.

It's destroyed, and as I begin to smile at Jaime, Black Beetle comes up behind him with scythe.

I yell him name as I fly over the destroyed machine. He turns around in time and blocks the attack. I shoot over Jaime and hit Black Beetle with a plasma beam. He shoots back a few foot, before getting his footing. Blue and I stand side by side, both of us ready.

"No. NO! I will kill you all, meat!"

Impulse zips to Blue's side. I'm all too aware of Wonder Girl and Batgirl behind me, looking at the body of Robin.

"It's over." I say. Black Beetle's deadly gaze focuses on me.

"No, it's not. It will never be over. We will return to claim this planet and get those Scarabs on mode. Even if we have to wait for you two to die, we will get this planet eventually."

"There will always be other heroes to take our place. There will always be someone willing to fight." I answer him back.

He growls in anger, then shoots a plasma beam at us. We scatter, and Black Beetle flies out of the room, heading right for the mother Reach ship.

The dust and smoke makes us cough for a moment, before we regroup. Impulse looks at me for a moment.

"Remy?" He asks.

I walk forward and crush him in a hug. He hugs me back.

"You're lucky you're so fast." We part and we smile at each other.

"Well, I do crash all modes." He tell me grinning.

"Red," Blue says, getting my attention.

"Black Beetle's right. We have to stop them once and for all. We have to do it now." He says, taking my hand. I first look up at the Reach ship, where the clouds are slowly dispersing into nothing, revealing the blue sky. Then, I look back at Wonder Girl, who's still holding Robin in her lap. Batgirl is beside her. She doesn't cry, but it's clear that she's beyond grief.

I want to hug Wonder Girl, tell her I'm sorry, but I don't dare look at her. I'm afraid she'll hate me just as much as I hate myself.

"You're right, Blue. Let's go." We begin taking up. We're just a few feet off the ground when a voice says "Wait."