Chapter 8 - Remembering

Remy

I smile as I step back. That quick hug was really... nice. Jaime is really warm, and right now, he's smiling fainting, as if he doesn't know he's smiling. His gaze is fixated upon me.

Memory reconstructed.

"What the crap does that mean?" I ask.

That's when I'm overcome with a memory.

Pain wakes me up. The aching in my back, as if daggers are placed perfectly in corn rows to ensure maximum torture. My hands and feet securing with thick steel stubs. I've been suspended in an X formation for a long time.

The whoosh of doors opening makes me lift my head up slightly. No, not again. No more pain. The inhibitor collar around my neck reminds me of my weak state.

Black Beetle walks in with an alien scientist. She moves to her area with all the computers and monitors. Black Beetle stops in front of me.

"Little sister, won't you join us?" His crackly voice full of sweet poison.

I glare at him. My breathing slow and labored.

"Screw you." I spit, hitting his face armor. He wipes it off and proceeds to punch me several times in the face, the gut.

He stops. I struggle, gasping for breath as my lip drips scarlet.

"The offer still stands for the easy way to get on mode. Willing enter our control, and it will be painless." He promises.

I take a few moments to get my breathing slightly under control, then look up at Black Beetle.

"You can take your offer and shove it up your-" I receive a punch to the left cheek, silencing me.

He leans in dangerously near me, speaking into my ear while I gaze at the ground. I notice a dry blood stain from many days earlier. A fresh splatter of my blood marks the ground.

"You're pretty strong for meat, but I will put you on mode, little sister." He stands up.

"How's the little wound I gave you holding up?" He smirks.

I glare at him. The now formed scar decorating my back just healed up. It's one good among the numberless horrors.

He continue his smirking and motions for the scientist to begin the routines.

I hate the routines. Too most pain. Too much electricity.

The robotic needle arms stab into the Scarab and my chest armor. Sending jolts of electricity to try and rewrite the Scarab. I only gasp now when the pain hits. I used to scream for hours, but I'm too tired now.

Remy Emerson, I am still with you.

"Good," I whisper, watching the scientist become frustrated like always at my lack of being an obedient slave.

"I still need you Khori Ja."

As I need you to keep fighting. Stay strong.

Another searing bolt of pain.

"I don't know how long I can keep doing this," I confess. I'm supposed to be strong, tough. The unbreakable girl. But even a mountain can be eroded away with time. Black Beetle and the Reach are wearing me down. I think it's been three weeks, maybe more. The pain is blurring the days together. I'm losing track. I'm losing my mind.