Chapter 26 - Mysterious

-Nightwing

I stand in the shadows, watching silently as the Terror Twins beat down the reinforced steel doors that guard the most expensive and important machines in Wayne Tech. Joker and Poison Ivy wait nearby.

I've already contacted base and told them to suit up. When I first got the alarm about the break in, I was expecting a common thief. Imagine my surprised when I see Joker and Poison Ivy working with the Terror Twins.

It all just doesn't make sense. Why is Joker and Poison Ivy working together with the Terror Twins? From what I know, they've never met each other before. Joker just like to play dangerous games, usually involving bombs. So why is he here with three other criminals trying to steal from the vault? The items in there would be no use to a criminal organization.

This part of Wayne Tech deals with environmental problems. Everything here is designed to help the environment. The vault contains giant metal water purifies, air purifies and other machines that have been worked on and perfected to clean the environment. Why could they possible want these things this badly to team up with people they've never met?

The sound of an object being thrown through glass echoes in the room. I find the source of commotion and find a broken window. A figure lays on the ground. As I focus, I realize it's Zatanna trying to pick herself off the ground.

I almost yell her name, but what stops me is a dark portal that appears before Zatanna, and out steps Klarion, the witch boy.

"Guess who I found lurking around outside." He grins in his childish voice. His 'cat' rubs up against his leg, eyes focused on Zatanna.

"Oh," the Joker grins. "I could have fun with this one. But if she's here, then the bat kiddies aren't too far behind."

"We have to finish the mission." Poison Ivy reminds him sternly.

"Evom taht ksed!" Zatanna shouts her magic spell. A nearby desk flies through the air, heading straight for Klarion. It hits him against the wall, and he screeches.

Zatanna gets up, and turns around to face Joker, and Poison Ivy. The Terror Twins are still pounding away at the steel vault door.

Several vines shoot out from the ground and head straight for Zatanna. I'm moving now, running to her. She dodges the vines and creates a platform, flying towards Ivy. Joker pulls out a gun and aims it straight out Zatanna. She's too focused on Ivy to notice.

Just as Zatanna jumps from the platform and lands a kick in Poison Ivy's face, my batarang hits Joker's gun out of his hand.

My back is pressed against Zatanna's, my fists up and ready.

"Perfect timing, as always." I can hear the smile in Zatanna's voice.

"What are you doing here?" I demand as Posion Ivy moves to face Zatanna and Joker grins at me.

"The base got a call for help. I wanted to come. I got here before the rest of the team and found witch boy just a little too late."

She shouldn't be here. I already don't like the situation and now Zatanna is here and I have no idea what's going to happen.

"I knew a bat kiddie would come crawling here soon." Joker laughs. "I was just hoping it was the little bird. You ever heard of the expression kill two birds with one stone? I guess it would be more appropriate to say knife." He laughs louder.

I grit my teeth in anger, tightening my fists even more.

"Be careful, we have no idea what they're planning." I caution Zatanna.

"Got it."

Joker pulls out a switch blade and starts taking jabs at my torso. I dodge and lead him away from Zatanna, who is currently destroy Poison Ivy's many vines.

The Team needs to hurry and get here, now.