Chapter 23 - Rising Tensions

Remy

I pace around the mission room impatiently. Bart, Jaime and Cassie are here too. Bart alternates tapping his hands against his thighs or tapping his foot against the ground. Jaime just watches me pace around. Cassie has her arms crossed and has a bored expression on her face. M'gann is holding Conner's hand and looking at me with a worried expression.

"What's taking them so long?" I growl.

"You could just tell us now and then tell them when they get here," Cassie suggests.

"No." I say, shaking my head. "You all need to hear this together."

Cassie huffs out a breath, blowing her bangs upwards.

Just then, the Zeta-tube activates and lets in Artemis, Dick, and Kaldur.

"Remy," Kaldur greets me. "What is the urgent news that you must share with us?"

Everybody gathers around me. This is my last chance to change my mind.

They have to know that Cassie is the one that kills me. We can help prevent that from ever happening in the first place. I have no idea why Wanda has to be so secretive and solitary all the time.

"Wanda told me who kills me in the future." I start out, but am quickly interrupted by gasps and exclamations of disbelief.

"Why would Wanda lie to us about not knowing in the first place?" Nightwing asks, angry.

"I think it's because of who the person is that kills me. It also explains why Wanda doesn't want to stay with the team."

"Tell us then!" Bart asks impatiently.

I start to open my mouth and I am stopped by a shadow portal opening between me and the others. Wanda steps out and glares at me from under her hood.

"What are you doing?" She demands.

"I'm telling them who kills me in the future." I answer, frustrated.

The Dusk should be terminated. She is getting very irritating.

"I would love too, but that's not a nice thing to do." I mutter to my Scarab while Wanda glares at me, getting angry.

"You can't tell them. We don't know what effect that will have on the timeline." Wanda says.

"They need to know, it could change the timeline for good." I argue.

"Dusk, Remy's right." Kaldur says. "If we know who kills her, we can prevent it from happening."

Wanda glares at him, then turns back to me. She grips my shoulder and starts towing me away.

"I need to speak to you, privately."

"Hey, back off." Cassie warns, shoving Wanda off me.

Wanda looks at her for moment before speaking to me.

"Calm down your guard dog, Remy."

"Excuse me?" Cassie is getting angry.

"You heard me you little slut." Wanda says.

Just as she finishes her sentence, Cassie punches Wanda in the mouth. She falls backwards and onto the floor, put props herself up on one elbow, wiping away blood dripping from the corner of her lips. The look she gives Cassie is murderous.

Oh crap.

Wanda disappears into a shadow portal, but reappears behind Cassie, grabbing her arm and twisting it behind her back painfully.

"WANDA, CASSIE, STOP!" I yell at both of them. Jaime and I armor up at the same time while the others move in to stop them.

Cassie grips Wanda and throws her over her back. Wanda hits hard on the ground, but a moment later, black tendrils appears. The shadow vines wrap around Cassie's leg and begin smashing her into the ground going back and forth.

I rush to Cassie's aid but she's throw a moment later into the far wall. As she sinks to the ground, Wanda gets up. Cassie's up a moment later. They stare are each other for a moment. Sizing each other up. The look on their faces are the look of pure anger and hatred.

We're all moving, as if a silent command was given. Jaime, M'gann and Conner get to Cassie and hold her back. Bart and Artemis meet me at Wanda's sides and I grip her arm. Wanda struggles from our grasp while Cassie struggles too. Jaime and Conner manage to hold back Cassie while M'gann speaks soothing words to her.

"Come on, Dusk! Let's finish this. I'll rip you apart you sadistic freak!" Cassie shouts.

Dusk stops moving and her deadly stare is focused solely on Cassie.

"At least I'm not the one who kills Red Beetle."

Cassie stops moving, frozen to the spot. Which is good, because Jaime's and Conner's faces are focused on Wanda as they let go of Cassie. Everybody's focused on Wanda now.

"Cassie kills Remy?" Dick asks, stepping towards Wanda.

"Yes," she answers calmly. "I know this as a fact. I'm telling the truth when I say I don't know how or when. I just know that Wonder Girl kills Red Beetle."

Cassie meets my eyes, and I see fear in them, she makes my heart sink.

"Is this true?" she asks me.

"Yes." I answer, and that's all Cassie needs. Jaime moves across the room to my side.

"You don't know why?" He asks Wanda.

She shakes her head. "No."

"This doesn't make sense. Why would Cassie ever kill Remy?" Artemis says as everybody moves to our position. We form a loose circle. I notice that Cassie stays on the far end from me.

"I would never..." Cassie trails off, she looks away. I've never seen her so shaken.

"Maybe it's by accident," Bart pipes up.

"Maybe," Kaldur says. "But until we figure out how, we need to make sure Cassie and Remy are with other people at all times. I'm sorry, but you too can't be alone together. Is that understood?"

Cassie looks at me. Deep pain is laced in her eyes as she answer yes.

"No," I oppose. "Cassie would never hurt me. I know she wouldn't."

"Remy," Jaime touches my arm. I look at him. "We just need to be careful. I don't want to risk losing you."

"I know Cassie, I know her. We're best friends. We would never hurt each other!" I argue, jerking away from his touch, angry.

"Remy, they're right." Cassie says. I jerk my attention towards her. "I don't want to kill you. It's better to be safe than sorry." She turns around, flying to the Zeta-tube and leaving.

"Cassie!" I shout after her, but it's too late. She's gone.

"Remy," M'gann says. I ignore her though, stomping off and into my room.

I'm pissed to say the least. I told everybody because I thought it would help, but now I'm grounded from seeing my best friend like a child. Wanda was right. Crap, why is Wanda right?

You should listen to the Dusk. You can't trust the Wonder Girl and I advise termination.

"Shut up." I yell as I throw myself onto my bed.

Cassie may have killed me in the future, but I will do everything it takes to change that. For both mine and Cassie's sake.

Cassie won't kill me, I'll make sure of it