Chapter 19 - Chalant

Nightwing

Reversing the video feed for the eleventh time, I watch Clayface and Icicle Jr. attack Red Beetle, Tigress and I.

It's about midnight in the mission room. The holograms are all up, I have every camera on sight in Gotham playing to review the footage.

I heard Artemis was piss off about something Remy did to her earlier today, so Artemis disappear to who knows where. Those two better not start fighting again.

Pausing the video, I zoom in on the picture of Icicle Jr, a perfect angle of his neck to reveal the black bug device.

What are those? Why did both he and Clayface have them? Why were these two unrelated villains working together? Why did the device turn to ash after the villains suddenly went unconscious?

Why where they trying to get Red Beetle?

"I knew I would find you here." I switch the camera's off and turn to face a voice and face I've long ago memorized.

"Zatanna." I breathe out her name.

"Hey, Boy Wonder." She saunters up to me and places a hand on her hip, looking up at me with her blue eyes.

"What are you doing here, it's late."

She cocks her head to the side, her blue eyes shining in the dark. Why does she do that? She knows that will drive me crazy.

"I wanted to talk about you being a complete jerk on that mission with the Team." She states. Oh, how I miss her sassiness.

Try to stay whelmed.

"Zatanna, we broke up for a reason." I cross my arms over my chest, giving her my own look.

"Uh huh, because you didn't think I could take care of myself, and here I was thinking you gotten over being stupid."

"It's not like that." I try to explain.

"No, and It's not like I would know, seeing how you entirely pushed me away after Jason."

We stand there for a moment, two strangers standing in the blue glowing light of the screens. One person broken. One person hopeful.

"I know you can take care of yourself. You're a fighter, a great fighter, Zatanna."

"Then why do you still push me away? I don't get why we can't be together. I know you still have feelings for me, Nightwing."

She steps forward, her hand touches my face. The white glove is soft. I jerk and turn away from her.

"Nightwing, stop! I am done playing games with you." Her voice is sharp, cutting into me. "Let me in, Nightwing. I love you. Please, let me in."

Her voice is pleading with me, every fiber of her being is pleading with me. Even my heart is pounding, an urging in the beat to let Zatanna back into my life. To love her like I did so long ago.

But I can't.

"I can't." I whisper

"You can't what?" She says just as softly.

"I can't let you back in! I can't love you!" I yell, turning back to face her.

"Why not?" She screams back.

"BECAUSE I CAN'T PROTECT YOU!" She stares at me, blue eyes wide in shock. My hands are balled up into fists.

"I can't protect you. I couldn't protect Jason. I can't... I'm not strong enough." My breath is coming out ragged as I look at the ground.