Chapter 13 - Futuristic

Remy

Dusk sips at her cup of cocoa silently. She's always looking around, knowing her surroundings, but her cold dark eyes always return to me. Only now I can see the passion in them. She really is determined to protect me.

How far will she go to ensure I don't die?

Kaldur, Artemis, Nightwing, M'gann and Conner are all talking about the situation. They so far agree that Wanda is here to protect me. What they're debating on is on how they should protect me.

I really don't like the sound of that. I want to be able to move, be free. I can stand one single person guarding me, but having to be coop up will drive me crazy.

"Red Beetle, we should leave." I look up at her, from my own cup of cocoa. Wanda and I sit on stools. Jaime stands near me with his arms crossed. Bart and Cassie are across the counter. It's seven in the morning, but I'm tired from being up all night long. I'm more than ready to go into a coma atop my mattress.

"Call me Remy, Wanda." She frowns slightly at my calling her Wanda. She makes everyone else call her Dusk, except me.

"And I'm not leaving." I see Jaime relax slightly at this from the corner of my eye. My eyes flash to him and smile. He smiles back, and it comforts me greatly.

"I'm staying here, with the Team." I say, my tone indicating that's the end of the subject.

"You can too, you're a great fighter." Cassie says, smiling. She's really putting an effort into welcoming her, even though she really doesn't like her. Wanda eyes are narrowed.

"I'm not really a team player." She growls, emphasizing her point.

"Oh come on, if you're really going to be stuck watching me, you should get to know the people around here." I try to have fun with her, but a glare tells me she's not really a fun person either.

"Just because I'm with you, doesn't mean I'm with the team." Wanda says, taking another sip from her cup.

The Dusk is suspicious and unknown. You should not trust her.

"I'll make that decision." I say. Dusk looks over at me, raising an eyebrow.

Bart zips up to her side, looking at her full on. Wanda doesn't flinch. "How did you get back here? Did you use a time machine like me? What city were you working in?" He fires the questions out.

Wanda's expression hardens while looking at Bart.

"I used a time machine, just like you. After I heard of your jailbreak, I followed suit."

Wanda pulls in a deep breath while glancing at Jaime. Her glare is full of menace. At first, I'm angry at this, but I realize she came from a future where Blue Beetle was in charge of enslaving the humans. I can't really blame her for hating Jaime.

Still, it angers me.

"When you disappeared, nothing changed. I thought you had failed but turns out, you only prolonged the invasion. When I realized that Red Beetle was killed off, I knew what I had to do."

We're all silent for a moment.

"Well, we're all happy you here. We've arrange a room right next to Remy's." Cassie smiles. I love that girl. She's really trying to be friends.

Wanda just stares coldly at Cassie. Then draining her cup. She stands up and looks at me.

"Are you going to bed?"