Chapter 16 - Realization

Jaime

Do not give yourself up, Jaime Reyes. I told you should not be around the Red Beetle.

"Only if I have to," I whisper.

"That's not going to happen," Superboy says, glaring up at Black Beetle.

He grins, "Okay meat." His thumb starts down on the switch that will detonate the ship, the one that Red Beetle hand is currently stuck too because if she lets go it will explode, the same thing happens if Black Beetle pushes that red button.

Dusk looks at me, just as alarmed as me from under her black hood.

"Blue Beetle, do it!"

"Stop!" I put my hands up, surrendering. Black Beetle smiles as he raises his thumb up.

Do not give yourself up, Jaime Reyes.

"I have too." I say with a look at Red. Her face is frozen is shock as I step forward. Impulse is just as shocked too, but he stays at Red's side with Wonder Girl.

"Blue, no." Remy blurts out, terrified.

"If it keeps you safe, I will do it." I say, continuing forward.

"Blue, if you take one more step I will take my hand off this ship." I look at her and I can see in her face that she will do it. She's too intense, too determined. She looks back up at Black Beetle, who's now scowling.

"You will not be put on mode," She says, defiantly glaring at Black Beetle as she refers to her promise she made to me that night in the lounge.

"I came here for a Beetle, little sister, and I'm not leaving without one."

His voice sends chills up my spine, especially when he calls Red 'little sister'.

"What are we going to do?" Miss Martian says, trying not to panic.

"Guys, I can hack into his remote and scramble the connection, but I need time." Robin says, hiding behind the ship and out of sight of Black Beetle.

"If you can turn that remote off, my Scarab can hack into the ship's system and turn the detonation program off." Red adds.

"But Robin needs a minute," Aqualad reminds us.

"We can do that," I feel Zatanna smiling through the thought.

"Why did you place three ships then, if you only needed one to trap Red Beetle," Red Arrow demands, easily directing Black Beetle's attention elsewhere.

"Yeah, that doesn't make sense!" Beast Boy adds for good measure.

"I was hoping to get some of you meat out of the way, but it seems that Red Beetle warned you fast enough."

"How much more time, Robin?" Nightwing asks.

"Just a few more seconds!"

"ENOUGH!" Black Beetle yells. "I want a Beetle, or else you lose Red Beetle."

"Take me." Red says suddenly.

I whirl around and look at her, angry. Her face is set, she's willing to sacrifice herself and that sets me off even more.

"No freaking way are you going, Red." Wonder Girl pulls out her lasso, getting it ready for use. Black Beetle is too focused on me and Red to notice. Plus, I'm glad I'm not the only one against this.

"No, you are not going with him. We both made the same promise, neither of us will get on mode." I say, I can be just as stubborn as Red.

I see a look pass over her face, it's tender and soft. Her gaze doesn't leave me for a long moment. Something tugs at my heart, pulling me towards her. I have the urge to hold her hand.