Chapter 17 - Finding Happiness

Artemis

It doesn't even hurt that bad, but Aqualad insist that we go to the medical bay. After traveling down the hall, we bump into Red Beetle, who has bruises on her neck and Impulse. Impulse quickly explains what happened after we ask. I narrow my eyes.

Dusk is dangerous and unpredictable. She shouldn't be here, but she here's to protect Red, except for when she's choking her of course.

We go our separate ways and enter the medical bay, the lights on one side are broken.

"Sit, please." Kaldur insists. I sit on the edge of the hospital bed, taking my mask off. My blonde hair moving against my back. I look down at the slice in my top left arm. It's just broke skin, nothing deep. A piece of metal from the explosion grazed me.

I remember grabbing his hand as we booked it away from the ship. My first instinct to ensure that Aqualad made it out safely.

Kaldur brings a white bandage and clothe. Wiping away the blood, his eyes flicker up to me and I see a tenderness in the pale green eyes.

I lift my arm up as to make it easier for him to wrap the bandages around. His strong hands are gentle and steady. They linger for a moment longer before tying the bandage up.

"Are you well?" he asks. I must have a distracted look on my face, and I don't have my mask to shield my emotions.

Yesterday, I was visiting Wally's headstone in Central City. I place some flowers at the base and sat down in the grass.

I don't cry anymore. The pain is deep now, an ache that matches my heart beat. Besides, I'm too tired to cry anymore. I'm too worn down.

I was lonely. I was longing for some arms to wrap around me. I wanted Wally to tell me that I'll be alright. That I'm strong and I'll make it.

But Wally is the reason I'm so messed up.

That's when another face come to my mind, an Atlantian.

A surge of guilt nearly drowned me. Wally's my partner. The guilt started to eat away at me, as I gazed at his headstone.

It's been a year without him, but was I ready for someone new? The problem was, I feel guilty even considering it.

What am I supposed to do?

"I've been..." I say, but I trail off. Looking up, Kaldur waits for me.

"I visited Wally's headstone the other day." I say, looking away. Kaldur is patient, a quality that I never had.

"I want to move on, I think I want to move on... but I don't know if I should." I finish choke out. Looking up, Kaldur contemplates for a moment.

"Artemis, I know that it's hard to lose someone you love." Tula flashes into my mind as he continues. We have shared so much. We were both undercover, our fathers are villains, and we're both lost our loved ones. I realize that Kaldur is the perfect person to confine my fears to.

"But I've learned, you can't keep drowning yourself because they're gone and you're still living. You must live your life, because that's what Wally would want. He wouldn't want to hold you back from finding happiness."

He pauses a moment, to check his voice. He's always so steady.

"Wally was my best friend. I miss him too. I don't want to disrespect him in anyway. I still love Tula as well. But..." He looks at me for a long moment.

"I suppose we both need to find happiness."

I want to... I really do want to find happiness, but what if that happiness means someone new? I love Wally. I will always love him, but I think I need to move one.

Artemis was Wally's partner. After he died, I started being Tigress, but a hero and blonde.

I'm Tigress now, and I think I'm ready for a new partner.

"Kladur, thank you. You've helped me a lot." I say, standing up. We lock gazes, and I'm unsure of how long we looked at each other.

I see a scratch along his arm, it's bleeding slightly. Using my thumb, I brush it away, and my hand lingers on his dark skin. His hand reaches up and grasps mine.

Looking back up, I know that Kaldur has feelings for me.

Wally flashes into my mind and jerk my hand away from Kladur. He freezes, trying to hide his pain.

"Kaldur... I... I have feelings for you, but..."

"Artemis," he says gently. I look up at him.

"You must go at your own pace. You must take the time you need to be sure that you're ready to move on. I will wait for you."

I look him in the eyes as I see something I need. But I realize that it's him I need.

"I am here for you Artemis, if you need me."

I smile at him. He smiles back and I'm filled with something I haven't felt in a long time. Something warm and new and unpredictable. Something I felt with Wally, but different, because it's from Kaldur.

"Artemis." Red Arrow enters the room.

"Red Arrow," I say, turning away from Kaldur to face the red hair archer. He glances between us suspiciously but doesn't comment on how close we were.

"I didn't come here to just go on a mission for old time sake. Cheshire been gone for a week. Do you know where she is?"

"Cheshire missing?" I say. My eyes widen in surprise. What has my sister, criminally active sister, gotten herself into? I better not have to go save her butt.

"Yes. Lian is with your mother right now. I'm worried, Cheshire tells me when if she's going on any... adventures." Red Arrow glances at Kaldur. I keep my eyes trained on my sister's lover. Kaldur knows about my crazy family, I trust him with this knowledge.

"I haven't heard a word from her." I breathe out.

Red Arrow growls in frustration.

"I'm going to look for her then," he turns to leave.

Red Arrow is stubborn and hotheaded, but he's tough and cares for my sister. I know if anyone could find her it was him. I don't offer to go with him, because he's more of a solo guy. He'll only argue with me.

"Tell me if anything happens, I'll be there." He turns his head in the doorway and nods before leaving.

Sighing I turn back to Kaldur.

"Don't worry, Artemis." Kaldur says gently. He's so understanding. "Red Arrow will find her."

I nod, but the thoughts of what Cheshire's gotten into is still running through my head.

* * *

A/N

AH! My baby Artemis is hurting! But Sea Arrow, Kaldur and Artemis, are getting there!

Artemis is one of my favorite characters from Young Justice, besides Jaime, just saying! Who's yours?

Keep Rocking On!

- RoseandPaper