Chapter 21 - Sympiosi

Artemis

I stand in the mission room. My fingers poised on the keyboard. I stare at the face of Dusk. Even in a photo she's glaring with her cold blue eyes.

Jaime spoke with me, Aqualad and Nightwing about Dusk. He's afraid that she's trying to hurt Remy. He told us about how he stopped Wanda from taking her away. He's worried about her, that much is clear.

Nightwing told him that we can't do anything until Dusk proves otherwise. He warned him not to trust her though.

I've look up the name Lockhart, trying to find her parents or grandparents. Anything on this cold mysterious girl from the future. The way she acts makes her appear like all she cares about is keeping Remy safe. I have my doubts though.

She doesn't trust the Team at all. She's only ever, dare I say 'friendly', to Remy. Why wouldn't she trust the Team? Does she know something she's not letting on? Or is she afraid that Remy will die because she stays with the Team?

Dusk only went on about how Remy knew a secret that could stop the Reach. The only problem is that Remy doesn't remember anything.

I growl in frustration and hit the keyboard with my fist. Dusk only provided more questions, not answers.

"Artemis." A cool, deep voice said. I look up at the dark skin Atlantean.

"Kaldur." I say, managing a smile.

"Are you well?" he asks. His pale green eyes looking into mine.

"Yeah. Well, I would be if I knew anything about Dusk or what's really going on or what secret Remy knows that could stop the Reach." I breathe out heavily, glaring at the screen.

"Artemis." Kaldur says, taking my fist off the keyboard and slowly smoothing out my hand.

"We will figure things out, I promise." His hand is strong, holding mine. I'm memorized by the stark skin contrast. It feels so right.

My mind shows me an image of Kaldur, disappearing from out of my reach. Never to be seen again. Another grave. Another broken heart. Wally's face smiling at me.

I jerk my hand out of Kaldur, turning away.

"Artemis, I am sorry. I did not mean-"

"Stop, Kaldur. Just stop." I say. "I just can't do it. I can't. I've already lost Wally. If I lost you..." I finally look at him. He remains in his calm nature, his eyes looking at me compassionately.

"If that's what you want." He says gently. I see a glimpse of pain in his eyes.

No, this isn't what I want. I want Wally alive. That's not going to happen. I want to feel whole again. I want Kaldur too. I want to stop being so broken. I want to love Kaldur, but I don't want to lose him.

Realization hits me.

Remy is right, I am afraid.

I look at Kaldur. Wally is gone. I love him, but he's gone. I can't be afraid to live my life without losing someone. He would want me to live my life, even if that meant finding someone new.

I reach out and take Kaldur's hand in mine, smiling.

"I want you, Kaldur. I'm ready to find my happiness, and I think you are too."

"I am." He pulls me, both our hands clutching, the only thing separating our bodies. Our head bow low, our foreheads touching.

"Let's find out happiness together, sympiosis."

"Sympiosis." He agrees. I move and my lips find his. Our kiss is long overdue.

Hetastes like seawater.