Chapter 35 - Snow

—Jaime

"There's nothing here." I say, once again scanning the snowy terrain. Red Beetle looks up at me, with an annoyed expression on her face.

"I hope you guys didn't send us here just to screw with us." She speaks to Nightwing through her earpiece, irritated.

"There was a large unidentifiable flying object in the South Pole region. The signal was large enough to be—Red Beetle, stop laughing." Nightwing says, he himself irritated now.

"I'm sorry, but it's kind of funny that we're looking for a U.F.O." She says, looking up at me with her wide smile. Her laugh is beautiful, loud and contagious. I love it.

"Red, this is serious. How could an object with the signature of the empire state building be there for one moment then just vanish?"

Red settles down. I glance around at the large snowdrifts and the empty sky. Not even the Scarab is picking up on anything here.

"There's nothing here, Nightwing." I finally say. Red and I both share a grim expression. Large disappearing ships are never a good thing.

"What should we do now?" Red asks.

Nightwing is silent for a moment, thinking. "We'll activate the Zeta tube in a moment. Miss Martian and I want to have a look around. Just wait while I go get her."

"We can do that." Red says softly. She crouches  and puts a hand on the ground, examining the snow and ice.

I look up at the sky again. Its daylight, and the air is freezing, but my armor keeps me warm. As I keep admiring the sky, a snowball hits my face.

I look at Red who laughs and throws another one at me.

Ducking under this one, I quickly grab a fistful of snow, grinning. I throw it and it hits her armored shoulder. She looks at me with a mock murderous expression.

"You're so going down." She grins, getting another snowball ready.

"Not a chance." I tell her with a teasing smile.

She ducks behind a snowdrift just as I throw another one. It misses. I edge closer to her protective wall of snow, and she throws a snowball. I barely jump out of the way. She laughs and ducks back under her wall. I run and make it to the wall. Gathering a snowball, I hang over the wall and drop it right on her head. She yells in shock then looks up at me.

"That's unfair! You're supposed to get your own snow fort, not take over mine." She teases.

"Why would I be over there when I can be here with you?" I say, still leaning over her wall and right directly above her. She looks up at with her back against the wall. I swear she blushes for a moment.

"Wow, Blue. That was really smooth." She says. Then armor around her face pulls back, and I copy her. I lean down while she leans up and we share an upside down kiss. The air is freezing cold, but her lips warm mine.

That's when a projection hits the ground under Red's feet and sends us both flying through the air. The next thing I know, I've hit something hard with my head before my armor could come back on.

I'm lying on snow, my armor fully on and my head killing me.

Four personages detected. Injuries location at the back of your head. No concussion is detected. You will be incapacitated for thirty one minutes.