Chapter 7 - Puzzle

Artemis

The screen shines a bright blue, basking my skin into a ghostly pale color. I switch the cameras between the mission room, the library and the workout room. I finally locate Red Beetle in the kitchen with Wonder Girl, Blue Beetle, Impulse, Miss Martian and Superboy. They're eating ice cream from what I can tell.

"Artemis." I look up as Kaldur walks in. His black tattoos against his dark skin are beautiful in the dim room. The only light source is from the computers from which I'm monitoring the security camera feeds to watch Red Beetle.

"It is late." He says.

"We have to watch Red Beetle." I say simple, turning back to the monitors.

"Do you really not trust her?" Kaldur says as he sits down next to me. I keep my eyes on the computers.

"Not until she gives me a reason to trust her. We can't allow anyone to get hurt." I say. Impulse leaves, running to a Zeta tube.

"You must first give her a chance to do so." Kaldur says gently. I finally look at him, his pale green eyes full of concern.

"Are you well?" he asks quietly.

I immediately look away. "Yes," I answer curtly.

"Artemis," Kaldur presses. "It is fine to still be hurting from Wally's death. But you should not take your pain out on someone else."

"I'm fine," I snap, looking at Kaldur. My mask is off so Kaldur can see my intensity. "It's been a year since I lost Wally. But it's going good now. I'm back with the team. Tigress is a hero. Even Dick came back after six months, he's okay now, and so am I."

Kaldur watches me. It's as if he's looking into my soul.

"I am here for you Artemis, if you need me." He says softly.

Those words take me back. Back to a time of pain drowning my being. Right after we drove the Reach away. After Wally...

I was in the apartment that Wally and I shared. Standing and looking out the window. In my hands was a red shirt that Wally always wore. It still smelled like him. How long will that scent last?

I hadn't realize it, but tears are softly falling onto the shirt. I gaze over the kitchen and the living room. How many times had we watch a movie together, or taken a nap on that couch. When was the last time we had dinner on that table? Or Wally accidentally burned food on the stove.

"Wally..."

I will never see you again.

There was a knock on the door. Please, not now M'gann. She was been so amazing to me the last couple of days, letting me cry on her. But now, I need to grief alone.

I wipe the tears off and walk to the door. I have to be strong, for now.

Opening it, I look into the pale green eyes of an Atlantian.

"Artemis." He says softly.

"Hey, Kaldur." I look up at him in his dark blue jacket.

We sit in silence, looking at each other for a moment.

"I am here for you Artemis, if you need me."

That's when the dam broke.

"I don't need you. I don't need M'gann or anyone else. I need Wally." I break into a thousand little pieces. Like a puzzle waiting for someone to put it back together, to be whole, to make sense.