Chapter 22 - Beach Day

Remy

I jump up and hit the volleyball over the net. Bart zips over and hits the ball before it touches the ground. It bounces up high, and Cassie rushes it, jumping and hitting it over the net. Jaime rushes and dives for the ball, setting it perfectly up for me. I jump, smashing it with my hand and it sails over the net. Bart runs for it but Cassie has the same idea, and they end up crashing into each other and the ball falls to the ground.

"Whoo! Our point!" I shout. I high five Jaime and he's grinning like crazy.

The beach is nice and hot today. Cassie, Bart, Jaime and I all agreed to a beach day and we've been out here since.

"Bart, get off me!" Cassie says. Bart gets up, shaking sand out of his red hair and smiling.

"This is getting boring, let's go swimming." Bart then races to the water.

Cassie runs to the water, and she spashes Bart on her entrance. I admire her swimsuit. It's a one piece, black and white.

My own swimsuit is navy blue, with a little white bow on the stripe.

I look back to an outcropping of rock coming out of the mountain. Wanda sits there with her knees brought up to her chest. Completely concealed by her hood and cloak, watching me carefully. I suggested that she come out and swim with us, but she all but hissed at the idea of not having her hood on.

Jaime and I go into the water. We have splashing contests and Jaime and Bart continuously try to drown each other. Chicken fights start up and I climb on Jaime's shoulder. Bart tried to convince Cassie to be on top, but she doesn't go for it.

"I'm way stronger than you, little man." Is all she says. Bart grumpily accepts this and gets on Cassie's shoulders.

Jaime and I get pushed down first, but we come back with dunking them both in the water. Eventually, Bart's complaining gets to be too annoying so we decide to roast hot dogs on the beach.

"Come on, Bart. Let's go get the hot dogs." Cassie says, beginning to walk back to the base.

"Can't you get them by yourself?" Bart questions.

"No, I can't," Cassie says pointedly. Her eyes flicker over to me and Jaime and I know she's trying to give us some alone time.

I smile my thanks at her and she drags Bart away. Once they're out of sight, I find my fingers intertwining with his. Jaime looks at our hands and smiles.

"It's beautiful today," I comment. The water comes up to below my rib cage, while the water is at Jaime's waist. Oh the wonderful perks of being short.

"Not as beautiful as you." I look at Jaime in surprised. He's looking back at me with a soft smile on his handsome face.

"That was really smooth, I didn't know you were good with compliments." I joke.

His face reddens slightly, but he keeps smiling. "Yeah, but I'm just getting started."

I laugh. "I can't wait to see more of those compliments."

We move and end up sitting in the shallower part of the water. I pick up seashells and show them to him. We play a little game where we try to find the prettiest seashell. He ends up winning with a beautiful black one.

"It's really amazing," I admit, as Jaime gives it too me.

"Not as amazing as you." He compliments. I smile and give him a white seashell in turn.

I find myself turning around, and see Wanda glaring hatefully at Jaime. Once she notices my staring she looks away.

Wanda isn't the nicest, well or even the most normal person there is. But I'm trying to be her friend. She isn't making this easy.

Cassie and Bart reappear all too soon just as the sun starts setting. We build a fire in the setting sun and eat our hot dogs. Bart somehow consumes five hot dogs but he just says it's because of his fast metabolism.

They even brought out marshmallows for s'mores. Jaime ends up getting some marshmallow on his cheek and I wipe it away with my thumb. I'm the only one to see him turn slightly red in the fire's light.

As we call it a day and pack everything up, Wanda follows behind us silently. We put everything away and say goodbye to Bart and Jaime. I hug them both but linger on Jaime's hug. They leave as Cassie and Wanda stay with me.

We booth change into our regular clothes and chill on the couch. We're beat from playing so hard today. Eventually we both start nodding off, so we call it a night and say goodnight to each other.

I head into my room and brush my teeth. Just as I come out of the bathroom, I find Wanda standing in my room.

"Do you ever knock? Or is that not a thing in the future?" I brush past her to get my P.J.s. I'm irritated by Wanda today.

"Remy, we have to leave this place. Now."

I look at her, angry. "We're not discussing this because I'm not going anyway. Just let it go, Wanda." I shout out her.

"No, we have to leave. You don't understand."

"Understand? You want to know what I don't understand? I don't understand why you hate the Team. I don't know why you hate the base. What's your problem Wanda?"

Wanda is dead silent, her face contorted in barely controlled rage. Then she explodes.

"My problem? I'm came back here to make sure you don't die. My problem is that the person who kills you is also your best friend Wonder Girl!" Wanda explodes.

The words enter my ears, but I don't process them right away.

"You're wrong."

The Dusk is not lying, Remy Emerson. I told you it was wise to leave the team.

"Shut up." I yell at my Scarab.

Wanda lets out a deep breath, like her job just got a thousand times harder.

"Now do you understand why we have to leave?"

I shake my head. "No, you're wrong. Wanda, you're wrong."

"I am not wrong. I know she kills you. I don't know how, oh mode, I don't even know when. I just know she is the person who kills you."

The Dusk is telling the truth. You must accept this.

I'm denying it all, because I know Cassie would never hurt me on purpose. She wouldn't do that. We're best friends. We love each other.

"Get out." I say.

"Remy-"

"GET OUT!" I scream. Wanda leaves through a shadow portal.

Once she's gone, I sit on my bed. I feel empty, crush.

Wonder Girl can't be the one that kills me, can she?

* * *

A/N

So I know the chapters have been a little slow, but don't worry, it's about to get a little bit crazy. And Dusk is being all mysterious as usual! Do you guys like Dusk, or even trust her? Comment if you want!

Also, thanks for the support guys. It was hard to start this up again, but a lot of people have been very supportive of me. The comments and votes have helped out a lot too. So, thanks!

Keep Rocking on!

-RoseandPaper