Chapter 45 - Out Of It

—Wanda

How did I get here? My wrists and ankles chained with people who once considered me an ally discussing whether or not I should live. 

"Tell me everything." Nightwing says, as he sits across from me. I glance at the mirror behind him, knowing that The Team is looking at me before behind it. The interview room is cold, or maybe it's just me.

"Everything?" I ask weakly.

"Why are you working for the reach? What's the Reaches plan? Are you even from the future? What is your real name? Why did you betray us? Why did you betray Remy?" He says, intense.

"I'm not sure what the Reaches plan is," I admit. "They only tell me what to do, and I do it. I've no clue as to what they want with that metal sphere. My best guess it that they're going to head after Blue Beetle next." I answer

"Are you even from the future?" He asks again.

My mind flashes back to the beginning. Ash falling from the sky like gray snow. Blue Beetle was the one who brought me in. The on mode scarab armor is large and terrifying. As he shoves me into the Reach base, I fear death is coming.

"I am from the future." I speak softly, looking at the table. I've been forsaken by everyone. There's nothing left of me except for one person.

"Once everyone got wind of Bart's escape into the past, we were happy, hopeful." I pause, lost in the moment of feeling joy when everything was depressing.

"We thought he was going to do it. Change the past and save the future, but nothing change for a long time. We all figured he failed. That's when they brought me in."

My voice catches on the last word.

"Who brought you in?" Nightwing asks.

"The Reach." I begin my story.

I was thrown onto the floor, staying down on my hands and knees. I looked up at the Ambassador, and feel my heart pound in my chest.

"Hello, Wanda Locke." He says calmly.

I only look at him, the inhibitor collar cutting the skin on my neck.

"You are an extraordinary Meta Human. One of the few to survive our experiments. You are powerful, and dangerous." He says, looking me over.

I'm going to die. He's afraid that I'll get the collar off and wreak havoc. To solve this little problem, the answer is simply to have me killed.

"I have a mission for you, Wanda Locke."

I stare at him for a moment, then bark out a harsh laugh. "I'll move things on and off your ships all day long, but I am not going to do a mission for you." I finish, glaring at him. We're not allowed to speak to each other, us humans. We use facial expressions instead, and I have mastered my glare.

"But you are. You are going to get in the same time machine that Impulse used and go back to the past. The time machine is only usable by Meta Humans, so that's why we must send you. You are going to ensure that Red Beetle gets on mode. You, Wanda Locke, are going to secure the Reaches future." The Ambassador says, smiling.

"I would rather die." I say calmly. He's out of his mind if he thinks I would do anything to help the Reach.

"Perhaps. But would you rather someone else die if you don't comply?"