Chapter 5 - Source

Artemis

"Artemis, Kaldur," Nightwing says. We both look up at him, immediately knowing something's going on. We leave the kitchen, following him to the mission room.

Nightwing sits down and pulls up a video on the large screen. I brush my blonde hair back and take off my mask.

"What is going on, Nightwing?" Kaldur's rich voice asks.

"I was doing a little research on Red Beetle. Since no one has ever heard of her before, I had my suspicions."

You're not the only one, Nightwing.

"I found that Red Beetle like to fight crime in Brooklyn, New York. She's been doing this for about three years, after the death of Sara Butters, the original Red Beetle." With several clicks on the computer, Nightwing shows us several video tapings from stores or banks revealing the heroic acts of Red Beetle. She's saving lives and stopping bad guys.

I glance away for a second. What if Red Beetle really did forget everything, and we were lucky enough to find her first.

I know I can be untrusting, but someone appearing out of the blue like that... It's too perfect. She could be on mode. M'gann didn't figure out Green Beetle was on our side when she scanned his mind. What if she's messing up again? Having someone as powerful as Red Beetle try taking down the team. Not on my watch.

"This proofs further that Red Beetle is our ally," Kaldur says. His gray eyes flickering between each video. "M'gann has checked her mind too, why is there still suspicion?"

I look at Kaldur, his intense eyes focused on Nightwing. His strong figure and dark skin. If anyone hurts him. No, I won't let that happen. I won't let anything happen like I did with Wally. I won't.

"Because of this next video." Nightwing says pulling it up.

"This was one month ago. This is the last sighting of Red before we found her."

The camera is focused on an abandon subway station. It's old and slightly destroyed. There sits a little boy in the middle of a deserted platform, bound and gagged. Then, Red Beetle appears, approaching the boy quickly. With a few words, she unties him and guides him to the doors.

Red Beetle keeps on looking around, anxious. She's expecting someone.

Just as they reach the door, a pebble hitting the concert makes Red turn around. Her arms spread protectively over the little boy.

Out of the corner of a camera comes a black figure that tackles Red Beetle, separating her from the kid. The camera view switches and it reveals Black Beetle pinning Red down. Red yells at the kid to run and he doesn't waste any time doing so.

"But we drove the Reach off world," Kaldur states, as startled as I am.

"I know. Keep watching."

The fight is explosive. I hate to admit it, but Remy can hold her own. They attack with swords, maces and cannons. Each hitting each other equally. Finally, Black Beetle pins Red Beetle under his weight.

"Soon you'll join us little sister. You will help bring the meat and it's planet to its knees." His croaky voice unforgettable.

"No one controls me." She spits in his face. He turns his head and she places her feet on his chest. Launching him off with the aid of her rocket boosters, he falls onto the train railing and he screams as he's electrocuted.

Red Beetle stands there, wide eyed and shock. She's shaken, but she recovers quickly. Turning her back and walking to the door. Through the grainy film, I can make out the slightly tremble in Red Beetle's body. She did just kill a person.

"That's all?" I ask, annoyed. But not a second later that those words leave my lips, Black Beetle gets up.

He jumps at Red Beetle so fast, that she doesn't have time to turn. With his scythe blade, he slashes at her back. She falls to the ground, unconscious. A long cut etched from her right shoulder to her left hip. There's not a scratch on her Scarab. Quickly, the blood starts dripping from her wound to the floor.

"You will be controlled little sister. You will be put on mode." He says. Bending down then throwing Red Beetle over his shoulder, Black Beetle disappears down the subway tunnel.

"The Reach did get her." I look at Nightwing and Kaldur. "She is on mode, isn't she?"

"But she's not." Nightwing says, surprising both me and Kaldur.

"What do you mean? Of course she is! If she was taken by the Reach for a month, there is no way they haven't put her on mode."

"I agree with Artemis. No one can last that long being tortured." I glance at him, grateful for the support.

"When we met her, she was terrified that we were the Reach. Remember?" He looks between me and Kaldur.

"She was so terrified when Blue showed up, she almost killed him. Any Reach agent would have been more than eager to join the team. From what Miss M. told me from when Remy woke up, the last place she wanted to be was here. I honestly don't think she's on mode. Because when she saw Blue Beetle... You just can't fake that kind of fear."

"Then what are you getting at?" Kaldur asks, just as confused as me.

Nightwing stands up, looking at us both. "I think Remy found out a way to fight the Reach. She figure it out so they erased her memory somehow. If the Reach really have returned, then Remy could be our greatest ally."

"But if she's on mode, it's only a matter of time before she gets Blue on mode too. Then we're all screwed." I counter.

We all stand silent. Soaking in this information.

Either Remy is with us, or against us.

Either Remy is on our side, or with the Reach.

Either Remy is going to save us, or kill us all.

"We have two possibilities then." Kaldur says. "She is on mode or she is off mode. We must include Miss. Martian and Superboy on this, their assistant will be most needed. We can only wait and test Red Beetle to find out the truth. Until then, we must watch her closely, especially around Blue Beetle. If she even moves a finger to attack him, we take her down."

Nightwing shares eye contact with me. We both nod.

I look at Kaldur, he wears his same intense expression.

"Let go test Red Beetle."

Nightwing smiles at me.