Chapter 41 - Recovering

—Remy

Jaime carries me to my bedroom bridal style. Gently he sits me on top of my bed. Moving slowly, I lean against the bed post.

It's been five days since Cassie stabbed me. The doctor tells me that my wound is healing up just fine, and in a few days the stiches will come out. Until then, I have to move carefully and slowly.

Here's a fun fact, I didn't know healing hurt so much. When I first woke up, my insides were killing me. I hid it from Jaime though, no point in freaking him out. Even now my stomach kills, but the pain has lessen as I keep healing. Plus pain killers are amazing.

Jaime's so overprotected as of late. He insists on carrying me around, not that I don't mind that, but what I do mind is feeling powerless. I hate that I can't even walk on my own. It's scary, to feel like this.

This wouldn't have happened if you would've gone with the Dusk as she suggested.

"Shut it." I growl. Jaime looks at me, and I smile at his cute face.

We need to work together, Remy Emerson. That's the only way to survive.

Khori Ja's right. The only reason I wasn't put on mode months ago was because our bond makes it physically impossible for that to happen. It stuns me every time I think about it. That was also the secret weapon I have against the Reach. They can't touch me, but I can destroy them.

"Jaime, I need to tell you something." I say, getting his full attention.

I was meaning to tell Jaime for a while now, but with Zatanna... and Cassie stabbing me, I haven't found much time. Now is as good as ever.

As I tell him about me unable to be put on mode, he sits there shocked. When I finish, he smiles and looks at the ground.

"They can't hurt you." He whispers softly.

"What?" I ask, not hearing him.

"Nothing. That's amazing, Remy! I didn't even know that was possible." He grins, and moves to get on the bed. Gently, he touches my face and our lips meet. I move, and the stiches pull at my skin. I wince, and Jaime pulls away.

"Are you hurt?" He asks quickly.

I shake my head, breathing heavily for a moment. "Just peachy."

"Remy," he complains. I laugh and reach out a hand. My fingers run through his hair.

"I'm fine, don't worry so much."

He grabs my hand and holds it against his cheek. "Worry? Remy, when am I ever not worried about you?" he teases. I smile at him.

"Anyways, I want to figure out how to get you and Khaji Da like me and Khori Ja. I think you just have to care about each other." I say.

I watch Jaime's face turn sour, and he looks away from me. He moves my hand so both of his are holding it.

"Jaime, what's wrong?" I ask, worried.

He's silent for a moment, before spitting out, "Khaji Da and I aren't on very good terms at the moment." The anger in his voice surprises me.

"Why? What's wrong?"

He finally looks back at me, and anger is written in his face. "He froze the suit up so I couldn't help you in the South Pole. He wouldn't let me go. I watched you get beaten nearly to death and Khaji Da wouldn't let me help you!"