Chapter 28 - Souviner Room

-Nightwing

The Machines levitate in the air. I push them into the back area of the souvenir room. Just as they're placed in the corner, the machines drop to the ground.

"Thanks, Zatanna." I say, turning back to face her.

"No problem, Boy Wonder." She smiles. Her blue eyes focused on me entirely. Behind I can see the shelves that house all the souvenir's Kid Flash collected when he was on the team so long ago.

I back at Zatanna. She comes beside me and takes my hand in her. She looks at the shelves with me, leaning her cheek against my shoulder.

"I miss Wally, too." She says.

I only squeeze her hand tighter, staring at the memories or fights long past. Thinking of Wally and the original team. Jason comes into my mind.

"Don't shut me out," Zatanna whispers. "Please. I want to share the pain with you, Nightwing."

I know with my entire being that she's speaking the truth. I face her just as my body starts shaking with silently sobs, and her arms wrap around me without hesitation.

I don't cry, but I can't breathe. My throat is closed up, and it's nearly impossible to breathe. Wally. Jason. Even losing Zatanna for so long was unbearable. Yet, Zatanna holds me for so long. She holds me together when I no longer can.

As my breathing slows. As my lungs open up to allow air flow, I just keep holding Zatanna. She doesn't let go either.

Then, I push away, just to look into her blue eyes. Her smell of sugar and lavender is intoxicating. I lean down and her lips find mine.

We pull back just so Zatanna can whisper, "I love you." Then our lips are too busy again.

After another few moments, we pull apart again. "I love you." I answer back.

I don't know how long we stayed in that room, but it was not enough time.