78

Irene is 19Lisa is 18

Irene is 19
Lisa is 18

"Jennie?" Irene asked as she sat on the jacket that Lisa laid down on the grass. They went to a secluded area of a park where fireflies show up when it's close to midnight. Irene discovered an old blog about it and decided to come alone, hoping that there are still fireflies. The area didn't disappoint. She brought Lisa for the second time and the number of insects now multiplied, almost competing with the light of their LED lamp before they turned it off.

Lisa nodded and whispered.
"She's complaining that we went out."

Irene chuckled.
"I am quite happy to be honest. I have you all to myself." She whispered back.

"That's what she says too when it's the two of us."

Irene frowned.

"But with Jennie, there's not a quiet moment you know. If she's here the fireflies won't show up. They will be annoyed."
"Remember how she used to catch dragonflies when we're young?"

Irene nodded.
"She'll approach the poor insect right upfront and ask it not to move."

Lisa laughed but then she 'ssshed' herself.
They both looked at the swarm of the insects. The blinking yellow lights caused by bioluminescence amused the pair.

"It's pretty." Lisa whispered.
"Yeah." Irene replied.

"What are your plans now?" Lisa asked in a small voice. "College. Big step."

"Uh. I made a petition to change my course." Irene swallowed before giving her reply. She's nervous and somewhat giddy because they are sharing their plans again.

"Wait. Why?"

Irene shrugged.
"It was approved the other day. I will take Business instead, for you know, our families' businesses."

Lisa nodded.
"I am sensing a but."

Irene chuckled.
"Yeah. I will focus on my studies for the first year since we are required to live in the dorms for a year then train in Grandma Hye Kyo's  agency on my second."

"Really?"

Irene nodded.
They continue watching the fireflies. She scooted close to Lisa, their elbows are almost touching.

"Can I be honest?" Lisa asked.

Irenw nodded again before answering, "Sure."

"I never pegged you being a lawyer."
Irene raised her eyebrows, looking at Lisa.
"T-that's why I kept on asking you. Because, I can feel that you really belong to the stage not inside a courtroom."

"W-why?"

"Because you captivate people."
"Like how you captivated me." Lisa added in almost a whisper.

Irene failed to search of a rebuttal but her face felt warm. Maybe she's red all over, who knows.

"In years there will be millions of people who will be after you." Lisa finished, looking back at the fireflies.

Irene smiled. Almost. She's almost there. But not quite.

"It will not matter, Lis. As long as I have you."

Seeing the younger girl's profile with a hint of a blush on the cheek, Irene smiled.

Another step, there maybe a thousand left. She doesn't mind.

lalisamanoban posted via MyDay

@ irenebae it's pretty.