111

Lisa is 20

Lisa woke up in the middle of the night. She can't remember how she got home but she knows she crashed on her bed the moment she entered her room.

An involuntary protest from her stomach forced her to get up and  sit. Allowing her eyes to adjust with the darkness, she reached for the right side of her bed and found Irene's body curled under the comforter. Lucille is propped on the top of her pillow and curled on Irene's head.
She dipped her head to nuzzle the older girl's hair and kiss the skin under her ear.
Irene must've been exhausted and didn't wake up. Lisa sighed in contentment and allowed Irene's scent fill her lungs hoping it will sate her hunger. She gave up when her stomach grumbles again. She kissed the older girl's forehead before deciding to go out of her room.

Irene will definitely scold her if she finds out that she didn't eat anything after lunch and it's been 13-14 hours?

Lisa crawled out the bed carefully and walked barefoot out of the door. She waddled all the way downstairs to the kitchen, ignoring the coldness of the floor under her feet. Not wanting to eat a heavy meal, she opted to eat a couple of granola bars and drink chocomilk.

She opens the door nearest to the pool and head out. She sat on the metal chairs that's been there as long as she can remember and watched the water glimmer under the moonlight. Her attention was caught by something moving in the gazebo.

Lisa stood up leaving her food to approach the structure and was surprised to see her grandmother In-na sitting on the rocking at the center with Lois on her lap, purring while the old woman scratches his ear.

"Gammy?" Lisa called.

Her grandmother looked at her in surprise. Lisa was surprised too to see the tears in her grandmother's eyes as she hastily wiped them with her palms.

"What happened?" Lisa asked. She kneeled in front of her grandmother while Lois watches them with his bright eyes. She held her grandmother's hands for the the first time in years. Lisa realized that her grandmother had really gotten old. Her hands aren't as soft like her Yoya's because these hands went into hardships, the type of hardship from dirt poor to obtaining wealth that even Lisa's descendants will have a hard time to drain.

Which reminds Lisa that it's her Gammy's birthday. Her 73rd.
"Happy birthday, Gammy.." Lisa said as squeezed her grandmother's hands.

In-na smiled at her granddaughter. Her wife always insisted that she and Lisa are very much alike but this granddaughter of theirs got her other grandmother's courage and passion and whoever will end up with Lisa will live a happy and fulfilling life.

Lisa smiled back and stood up to sit on the marble bench beside the rocking chair. Lois followed her and sat on her lap. The cat scratches her joggers, asking to be scratched back.

"He's such a sweetheart." In-na said. "He sneaked outside your room through your window and followed me here."

"He is." Lisa replied. Lois purred in contentment and curled on her lap to sleep.

Lisa looks back at her grandmother, testing the waters if she can ask questions that she's been dying to ask.

"Gammy?"
"Why are you not celebrating your birthdays?"

In-na made herself comfortable by allowing her back rest on her chair.
"My birthday brings bad memories." She replied, not elaborating her answer.

"Is that why you are crying?" Lisa asked.

In-na shook her head.
"I had a dream..
Sometimes when you know that someone is already gone, you can't help but miss them. In your dream they are very much alive but in reality, they aren't anymore."

Liss hesitated if it's right to ask the question right now but if will not, she will never have the chance anymore.

"Was it Jieun, Gammy?" She asked quietly.

"Y-you found out about her, didn't you?" In-na replied.

Lisa nodded and swallowed, removing the sticky feeling of the granola bar in her throat.
"I saw a picture of you two at The Blacklabel..
Your arm was around her shoulders while you were looking at the camera and she was looking at you like you were her entire world." Lisa paused. "Can you tell me something about her, Gammy?"

In-na smiled.
"Jieun.." She murmured.
"The fiercest person I've ever known.
She braved to love me even if I was broken..

..but in the end she broke me too."

In-na reached for Lisa's hand, the tears are starting to form in the corner of her eyes again.
"I never wanted for her to die, Lisa. I wanted her to move on and find someone who will love her the same as I love your grandmother."

In-na cried. Lisa stood up and allowed her grandmother to hug her waist. Never in her entire that she'd seen her grandmother this vulnerable.

Lisa rubbed the older woman's back and allowed her to cry.
Once her sobs became silent, Lisa looks at her grandma and wiped her tears.

"W-when I see her again, I'll say I-I am sorry. I owe her. S-so much."

"You tell her that, Grandma. Tell her you lived the life you want for the both of you.."