119

Irene is 25

Irene sat in one of the pews in the front of the hall and looked blankly at the arc where her grandmother's casket is placed. One each side there are flowers from the people that her grandmother used to know and some of her friends from the industry. Instead of a gloomy atmosphere, the hall is lively — with the colors of the flowers and the acoustic covers of the songs that her grandmother liked being played.

Her Grandma Tae-hee never stays in one place. She talks to everyone who come to pay respect, asking how they'd known her grandma. Her parents on the other hand are still useless in Irene's eyes. They've been estranged for years and went home only a handful of times even when they found out that her grandma was sick.

Irene received an earful when they found out from a relative who is also based in London that her grandma died because she failed to inform them. They came on the second day of the funeral and then left on the third with the reason that they can't leave the firm for too long.
Irene didn't even bother talking to them when they came. For her, her grandmothers are her parents. She's glad she didn't follow their footsteps or she'll live regretting being a lawyer.

Irene sighed.
Two days ago, two old women came and they cried when they saw her. She got startled when she was squeezed into a hug between the two. They greeted Grandma Tae-hee politely and then cried again when they went to see her grandmother's casket.

They are staying in their house because her grandma didn't allow them to stay in a hotel. The two old women went on telling stories how her grandma was when she was young. Irene found out that her Grandma Tae-hee is indeed Ji Hyun first love and they lived a long life together.

How she wishes she can have the same.

Irene looks at the ring on her ring finger, the one that Lisa threw away that night. She never took it off after Seulgi handed it back to her. It was that time she realized that Lisa really left her.

"She won't come out of the ring." A voice said, teasing. Irene looks up only to see Jennie looking down on her.

The other girl sat beside her, huffing.

"What's the problem?" Irene asked.

Jennie huffed again.
"The company's been bugging me when we can schedule you for another recording."

"They know that my grandma just died, right?" Irene replied.

"God, the CEO's an asshole." Jennie complains.

"And that CEO is your cousin."

"Sadly." Jennie replied.

"You could've taken it last year when your uncle asked you to step in but you didn't."

"I know. I know. But I enjoy coming with you on your tours. I can write at the same time I can travel."
"And I am young. I can't take that responsibility."

"So was marriage." Irene said.

Jennie chuckled. She looks at her own ring finger where an engagement ring and a wedding band is placed.
"Will never regret it."

"Maybe Roseanne will."

Jennie glared at her.
"At least I became a Manoban, in essence." She teased.
Irene rolled her eyes. It became part of their banter all these years.
Jennie eloped with Roseanne when they turned 21, a result of one of their bets. Somehow, that bet was able to tame the wild Jennie. 4 years into their marriage and they are still strong, defeating the bet that Hanbin and Bambam placed against them which earned a new condominium unit in one of the guys' projects when they became engineers. The dance team is still intact like before but with the absence of Lisa and Jisoo— who left the country the day after the graduation. Roseanne and Jennie became her circle but sometimes she still hang out with her highschool friends. She can't put trust in the people in entertainment industry.
She dated here and there but nothing came out good from those dates. Wendy and Seulgi even set her up for blind dates with their cousins - male and female but she never showed up.

The two were interrupted when voices came from the door. The looked around and saw the elders entering the hall. It's weird to see them together, they are loud and giggly but Irene feels better because whenever her  Grandma Tae-hee is with them, she laughs and looks happy. Lisa's grandmothers came home from Spain a month ago and this time they are staying for good. They left the country too a month after Lisa left, leaving her grandmothers.

Irene and Jennie looked at each other and rolled their eyes then laughed.
They watch the group come to the front to where grandma Tae-hee is sitting and didn't notice the door opened again.

It was too late when they see two kids — one who looks like he's three wearing khaki pants and a blue polo shirt and the other one who looks like she's two who's wearing a frilly blue dress walk hand in hand in the aisle of the hall.
What they didn't expect is the couple following them.

Irene was surprised to see Lisa— who is wearing the grown-up version of the boy's clothes walk behind the kids. She is taller, her skin is heavily tanned and her hair is black and short, right above her shoulders. What surprised her more is Jisoo clutching Lisa's left arm. In her left hand there is gleaming under the light the pink diamond ring that Irene dreamed that she'll wear someday.

Today is her someday and she's not the one wearing it.