FORTY✔️

******

  Three bad days of wallowing in self pity and depression of the bad luck she suffered, Keila kept on pushing through.

   She scolded herself but the deed had been done. She had regrets and she knew it would be for the rest of her life. Nevertheless, she went to work that day.

   News kepts circling and rumors about why Miles has to resign all of a sudden. Some said they were aware of the fact that the company's head made advances towards him and he got tired of it, then quit. While others gave false opinions too but she turned deaf ears to them all.

   After settling down and working on some files from the day before which she couldn't go through, since she left work earlier than usual, her secretary reported that someone wanted to meet her.

  A staff precisely.

  "Let her come in", Keila answered despite the fact that she didn't want to receive anybody.

  "Good morning Miss Keila", Rachael greeted.

  "Morning".

  "Excuse me ma'am. But I checked in on you yesterday afternoon and you left already. I didn't know you would leave earlier, so I missed what I wanted to see you for".

  "Go ahead please", Keila urged.

  "Today is my cousin's wedding reception and I should have been there but I needed your permission. Since it wouldn't start any time soon, I needed to take a proper leave".

  "You could have dropped a letter", Keila shrugged not seeing why she had to tell tales.

  "I feared it might not be attended to quickly".

   Keila admired the young girl anyways. She was a intern at the company. But well....wait till they grow some wings, some of them don't find it necessary to keep up the good attitude.

   However, at the mention of wedding ceremony, Keila became awake to the fact that Lexy should be celebrating that same day.

  She had kept the date in mind but these last weeks, things had been too rough to remember. She cursed herself for forgetting. Even if they had their own quarrels, missing Lexy's day might be difficult to forgive.

  "Might I ask who your cousin is?".

  "Yeah, uhh Smith James".

  "James?".

  "Yeah ma'am".

  "Fuck, you may go".

  Keila said hurrying to her feet. Rachael was startled.

  "Is anything wrong ma'am?".

  "Well.....nothing".

  "Thank you Miss Keila", she said and left.

  Keila sent for the Managing Director who was new in the place but not new to his job. It gave her ease but she wasn't forming any liking for him. He was just a worker to her.

  You think, she learnt her lesson, smiles. Probably, but the managing director is a bit older than her and not her own taste, no trying there.

  She tried to be patient in waiting for him and when he came, she hurriedly told him to see to the affairs of the company since she wouldn't be back till the next day to work.

  She knew she was being careless with the way she started to head the company but right now, she felt she had no much choice. Driving with a bit of fury, she rushed home.

  Checking to see that time was barely on her side, she went ahead to get dressed for her best friend's wedding party.

    ******

  Alex and Dawn sat in their living room and watching a disaster movie. He was trying his best for her, to get her better but it seemed his efforts were not enough.

  It didn't dampen his spirits anyways, since he kept spending more time with her, hoping that would heal her emotionally. He knew she was broken.

   "Would you like a walk or drive around?".

  "I can't walk for long Alex and it's gonna be stress for you".

  "I don't mind pushing you around in the wheelchair".

  "You're supposed to be at work".

  "I've got work under control, you should think about yourself".

  "I never thought about you or got work when I left before. I never realized how much I would hurt you. I'm not about to do that again", Dawn complained with tears in her eyes.

  "Hey, that's enough", Alex moved close to her on the sofa and put his arm around her. "It's fine".

  He was glad she didn't say more.

  "Now will you be good and choose between a walk or a drive".

  "Drive around then".

  "Let me help you dress", he said pulling her up gently.

*****

You really going for Lexy's wedding😱, let's just wait and see.

Kaptaine Babbitt ❤️